MY DIY Family :)

Orifice Style bench discussions
Chad Speier

MY DIY Family :)

Post by Chad Speier »

As you know I do porting for a living. I have a DIY bench that is based off PTS plans with 10) 240v lighthouse motors and a SCR 80 amp controller. IT WORKS FLAWLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refused to take part in that hillbilly flow around because it would prove absolutely nothing or help me in any way. I have taken heat from it from potential customers. I stated in the past I know how my bench compares to other respected professionals and that is all that matters. The asshats don't understand this.

So now I'm starting to catch grief on the phone from competitors or others in this business telling people that my numbers aren't real, they're not from a SF, and they are high because it's a DIY bench and every other slam they can think of to discredit my hard work and passion I have for cylinder head porting. Which numbers as we all know are only part of the real picture.

So what did I do? I have a SF600 going to be here next week and I'm going to put an end to this bullshit. I'm not going to advertise it but it WILL save me money on shipping because I do send everything out to confirm and validate. When I get that BS I can say really? Guess what, here is the proof..

So Bruce you have a free test bed if you want to develop parts for the "industry standard." Also. I'm in no means knocking the bench, I just think what I currently own is every bit as equal in every aspect..

Guy has to spend more money to relax the masses. I guess it's just part of the business.. Well, I want to believe it to justify the purchase! :)
blaktopr

Re: MY DIY Family :)

Post by blaktopr »

Its bull and jealousy Chad. I personally dont think you should have sold out to the "man", but I guess business is business. You have track times, what do they have? Besides, the bench is calibrated, so what would be different? I bet it's just guys who don't understand the basics and can't think outside the box who are calling.
from competitors or others in this business telling people that my numbers aren't real, they're not from a SF,
Yeah, they just don't know how to slow stuff down over the SSR and load up more for around the throat/ valve discharge, DC, etc. Plus not everyone's ideas are the same. I mean c'mon, how bout that "bernoulli" thread. ;)
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
Chad Speier

Post by Chad Speier »

I will agree, I'm a big pusher of a DIY bench! Feel somewhat like a sell out, but it might be costing me and I really need to end it. If I was just a R&D shop it wouldn't bother me. I do have to appeal to the retail buyer.

I spoke to Harold Bettes about this and this was his reply (hope you don't mind HB2). Remember, this man knows flow benches!

"Just because someone gets flow numbers from a “name” flow bench does not make the numbers more viable! Plenty of flow benches are operated every day with rather questionable calibration. AND of course you are aware of the many variables involved in comparing flow numbers."
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

It's funny you mentioned Harold. He told me the same kinda thing along with some "dirt" :shock:

Hey Chad, you ever think of incorporating some wet testing? I see a few "possible suspect" spots in some chambers by the plug.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
Chad Speier

Post by Chad Speier »

That would be awesome! Hell that's what you do!!

I need to do this,
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

:D As DIY as it gets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
coulterracn

Post by coulterracn »

Chad,
When you do your comparison flow test with the SF, you'll probably see no more that 1% difference in flow numbers between the two benches.

The up side of purchasing the SF is adapting it for wetflow testing. That keeps your DIY bench open for dry flow testing.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
SWAirflowServices

Post by SWAirflowServices »

Sorry to hear about your SF600 purchase Chad. As someone who also does porting for a living I am starting to run into the same thing. Because I do a lot of motorcycle stuff, a few people are trying to down grade my work compared to two other shops that use Superflow benches. Funny thing is that they are trying to say that the other shops SF 110/120 that are testing at 10" and converting the numbers to 28" are more accurate than my bench. Luckily the bulk of my customers are race shops and engine builders that understand the truth but it has added an extra challenge to expanding my business to the general public. The worst part for me is that a lot of my work ends up with someone else's name on it and I can't advertise any race results to back up any bench results.
http://www.facebook.com/SWAirFlowServices You know you want to "Like" it!
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

I have in my possession a picture with dimensions of the internal orifice plate used in a SF600 and it is no way a precision piece I will say that!

I say the guys who have built one of my flowbenches in the end have the last laugh as they kept more of their money in their pockets :)

I think you do have to look at it one way, if you do this for a living then spending that money is not as big a deal, if you are doing this for yourself then saving all you can is a big plus! Not everyone wants to build a flowbench or has the time

For me the big picture is this; I am higher ranking than SF in most any search engine on the net and I am selling parts (can't machine those parts just yet till my back heals more) probably more parts than SF is selling complete flowbenches, I am soon going to be supplying pre-built flowbenches that will out-flow a SF600 at 28"! I am soon opening my online store front which will hopefully increase sales as people will no longer have to mail me for an invoice so it will be easier to buy from PTS.

PS I have running in my shop an all motor 75amp control 8 motor flowbench and it is SWEET! It's not finished just yet but I did waddle down to the shop Saturday and get it half-assed finish wired so I could fire it up for a test run. Wanted to checkout the main contactor as I had some possible concerns and didn't want to find this out when I was ready to delivery this bench to the customer.

After building this "all motor control" flowbench I wonder why anyone would want to spend so much money on a SF!!!
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
coulterracn

Post by coulterracn »

Be careful Bruce, SF will try to buy you out like they did the DTS Dyno company.
My Flowbench is better than their's