Quieting the Flowbench

Orifice Style bench discussions
dusty

Quieting the Flowbench

Post by dusty »

Hello Newbi Here

I am thinking of building myself a Flowbench.

One thing that I am concerned with is the NOISE coming from the Vacuum Cleaner Motors. My Garage is in a Tight Residential Setting, and I want to be quiet.

(Up to 9 used on some bench's mentioned here)

What type of barrier Media works the best for silencing the Motors and Air Noise??

I have done some searching on the net, but I really don't know just what frequency of noise I will be trying to silence and just what type of Media will work the best.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best type of insulating material to use, or know of something that really works the best?

Also, is there some reason that the flow bench’s are made in such a fashion that you have to stand up at them while you flow your what ever type components?

Would it be UN reasonable or impractical to have a Flowbench that you can sit down at during all those HOURS that you need to in order to do all the testing involved?

Again, This is a Great Site

Take Care

Dusty
coulterracn

Re: Quieting the Flowbench

Post by coulterracn »

Welcome Dusty,
My flowbench isn't much louder than a heavy duty shop vac. I sit on a bar stool while doing my flow test.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
SWAirflowServices

Post by SWAirflowServices »

Dusty,

I have a bench built to Bruce's (PTS) plans to a T but with only 6 motors installed and it is surprising quite. With all 6 motors running you can talk to someone at almost normal level. It is the heads that make all the racket. Some of the 4 valve motorcycle heads are screamers!

What kinda of heads to you think you'll be working on?

Shane
http://www.facebook.com/SWAirFlowServices You know you want to "Like" it!
dusty

Post by dusty »

Hello Shane and All

I am a real Newbi and an old one at that.

I know that this is way off topic, just answering Shane and for others info.

A little of my History.

I have been playing with the OLD Pontiac OHC 6 Engine for along time it seems, and would like to see what I can do with the head and other components.

They only built the Engine from 1966-1969 in Firebirds and Tempests

I think that it was the FIRST Production Engine built with a Fiberglass/Rubber Timing Belt, about 30 Years ahead of its time.

1966-1967 Overhead Cam 230 Cu.In. 6 Cylinder 1 Barrel Carb. @175 HP,

66-Quadrajet 4 Barrel Carb 207 HP @ 6500
67-Quadrajet 4 Barrel Carb 215 HP @6500

Used to Grenade the AC compressors at 6500 on/off Cycling, Rear End Ratio was 3:55

1968-1969 Overhead Cam 250 Cu.In. 6 Cylinder 1 Barrel Carb. @175 HP,

68-69 Quadrajet 4 Barrel Carb 215 HP @ 5500 Automatic Trans.
69-Quadrajet 4 Barrel Carb 230 HP @5500 Manual Trans Only

De-tuned a little to Save the AC compressors, Had to order higher gears to get AC

ALL Manual Trans "Sprints" all had the Rear End Ratio of 3:55

Cars with The Quadrajet Carbs were Called "SPRINT" with the Manual 3/4 Speed Trans they were little Screamers in their Day, shocked allot of V-8 Guys.

The Sprint 6 Tempest were sometimes called Jr. GTO's

I bought a new 67 Firebird "Sprint" 3 Speed, its time, "BOX STOCK" was 15.44 ET @ 87 MPH, Not Way Fast, But respectable for a little 230 inch "SIX"

I ran in "J" Stock Class in those days, I even Trophied when I ran it.

Not trying to kill the world, just trying to keep the ol’e 6 alive and have more fun with the V-8 guys, although today the little 4 cylinders are kicking butt.

Just a little of my history and where I am headed, mostly just my Hobby.

Take care All

Dusty
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Dusty,

Welcome, First of noise control is much better if you build your bench with the SCR motor speed control on all motors as you only run the motors up needed flow this is in comparison to one or two motors speed controlled and all other full on when needed. Second there are many dense rubber products out there that are used for car audio road noise suppression that if the inside of the motor box's and possibly others areas would hep reduce the noise even more.

Question to you, since i deal with this on a regular bases is your home a single family or multifamily attached (where your work shop are is connected to your neighbor) ? As room sound suppression is also something to consider, reducing noise from transmitting from your house to your neighbors.

Rick
dusty

Post by dusty »

Hello 1960FL and All

Thanks for the reply

Do you have a model number, brand and a good source for the variable controller? I am thinking of going 220 VAC for less Amps overall, and I guess I will need at least 6 vacuum motors, or at least have the provision for them to be installed so that I can install additional motors as my Vacuum demands increase.

My garage is detached and a single-family dwelling. My garage is about 70 feet from the neighbors bedroom window, so I want to be as Quiet as I can be. I am retired and they work during the day, so I can do allot during the day without any problem with them, however another member said that the bench is not the problem so much, its mainly the noise coming form the ports howling at times while checking airflow. I would still be concerned with other neighbors and the neighborhood in general in generating allot of racket from the produced noise at different times.

Do you have a brand name and good source for the deadening media for the bench that I could work on finding?

I guess I could stick the bench in a corner, and put up some silencing material around it to deaden the noise if it is still too noisy for anyone. I will have to check that out when I get the bench built and operating.

Again can you suggest some information as to what type of media that would provide the silencing needed?

This will be a long, slow project I am thinking, so I won’t be in any big hurry on it, but would like to do it though.

Thanks for your help

Dusty
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

If you are building a PTS flowbench it needs no sound deadening as has been stated in an earlier reply. The MDF is pretty dense and knocks the noise down. The noise comes from the part being tested and not the bench running.

Build the flowbench first then worry about the noise if it's a concern, my bench is located in my garage under my house and my wife doesn't complain about the noise. Don't really care about the neighbor, he and I haven't talked in 10-15yrs. I don't complain about him cleaning his driveway daily (1-3 times) with his gas powered leaf blower so I call it even :D
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .