Settling Chamber Question

Orifice Style bench discussions
ccm399

Settling Chamber Question

Post by ccm399 »

Hi all,

Been doing a TON of reading and I have some questions about settling chambers. I know they need to be symmetrical for best performance my question is does this mean cubical for a box design? Or are we talking mostly about length/width? For instance say we have two chambers that both measure 20x20x20 (Width,Length,Height). Would a bench with two chambers that measure 22x22x20?

I know there has to be some "minimum" height but once that is met does the box need to remain a cube for best performance?

Last question (for now)... I understand that the bench needs to be setup with a beta ratio based on the air moving through the bench and I assume this means added airflow from a higher test pressure? Say I want to build my bench to test at 40-60" instead of 28. So now my 300 cfm head (just an example) flows 339 at 36" (if I have my math right). The beta ratio should be based on 339 then yes?

The formula I used is SQRT(36/28)*original CFM or SQRT(36/28)*300

Thanks!

Chris
ccm399

Re: Settling Chamber Question

Post by ccm399 »

After additional digging and reading " between the lines" I have found my answers. Seems like yes on all. The chamber should be larger in all dimensions for a bench with additional airflow in mind.

Chris