Another argument for PTS style orifice bench

Orifice Style bench discussions
jfholm

Another argument for PTS style orifice bench

Post by jfholm »

I do not know if I posted this or not, but I just bought a Casio Pathfinder watch that has compass, barometer, altimeter etc. It also tells time. :lol: I have been looking for an uncorrected barometer for this altitude and they are hard to find. This watch will read all the ranges of barometric pressure so I snagged me one.

Salt Lake City, Denver and some places in the Mid West are known for having large and rapid fluctuations in barometric pressure. This last week I have been following the changes and I have seen as low as 25.20" Hg and last night and today earlier it was 26.15" Hg. In the last hour it has dropped to 26.05" Hg. The pressure altitude has also changed 1000' this week. I have seen it as low as 3600' and as high 4600'.

Now if you have a bench that needs to do corrections when you flow to get consistency you can see what kind of work would be involved. If you did not do these corrections, in my area especially, your testing would not be valid at all.

With the PTS ratiometric bench that does not required corrections for weather, altitude etc. you can see the benefits. It would drive me nuts in this area hour to hour to have to figure out the conditions and by the time I had it calculated it would probably change again. :lol:

John
slracer

Re: Another argument for PTS style orifice bench

Post by slracer »

John, At the Salt Flats the timing slips also give temp and pressure altitude. I have seen as high as 8700 feet on one of those "warmer" days on the salt. "Real racers" apply correction factors for carburation! :o

Doug