Manometer advice

Orifice Style bench discussions
slufkin

Re: Manometer advice

Post by slufkin »

Not sure what's going on here, but I have no bubbles, I have the line to the chamber unhooked completely, just two short tubes sticking out the top of the manometer and it is still doing it...
Time for bed!
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

is the bench level? / Monometer Plumb?

what fluid are you using?

and are both sides vented to atmosphere?

Rick
slufkin

Post by slufkin »

All is level and plumb. I am using Marvel Mystery Oil. Right now I have everything unhooked so both sides are just a short tube at the top of the manometer, bith open to atmosphere..... It really makes no sense at all when you look at it. I am baffled.
If I blow in one tube or the other it will move as expected in whichever direction, then it settles back to this uneven state. It is really crazy.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Are you in Australia? Maybe it has to do with something like what causes the toilets to swirl in the opposite direction than in the Northern hemisphere :lol: all I know is this is really a mystery
ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

inconsistent viscosity in the fluid ?
medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
Kimi

Post by Kimi »

Hi,

here three most common reason for this.

Difference in the temperature of the fluid can cause this.
Warm up the lower pilar with your hand or carefully with a hot
air blower a and tell what happens. This is least propable.

You must have an contraction on either side causing uneven pressure
in the tube. Blow into the tube and it should oscillate for a short time, if not,
you have a contraction or a sharp bend somewhere where the fluid builds a bridge.

You also can have a downward u-bend somewhere where fluid gets collected causing this. Check this first
/kimi
Kimi

Post by Kimi »

Hi,

What I think really happens here is that you have mixed two fluids with different density.
when you have all fluid on one side for a time, the heavier fluid sinks and the lighter moves upwards.
when you remove the depression, the heavier fluid will be on the other side, and the lighter on the other.
Its like mixing water to gasoline, after a while these gets separated, and you get the lighter up and heavier water below.
When you remove the depression, you will have the water on the left and the gasoline on the right.

Give it a real shake so you mix it and it will even out, but it will return when you use your bench again for some time.

I use water and green candy color, the powder type..

Your difference is only 5mm or so, so your error is not so big .

/kimi
slufkin

Post by slufkin »

I'm not quite following you Kimi. My Manometers are full of Marvel Mystery Oil, with nothing added.
tweaks

Post by tweaks »

What dia tubes are you using .......also you are using an oil suppliment which you can see is still sticking to walls of tubes......why dont to flush system out and remove any trace of the oil and try some water with a food die and see if that works...just a process of elimination

Cheers
Lynds
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

tweaks wrote:What dia tubes are you using .......also you are using an oil suppliment which you can see is still sticking to walls of tubes......why dont to flush system out and remove any trace of the oil and try some water with a food die and see if that works...just a process of elimination

Cheers
Lynds
I agree with Lynds and also add some anti-spotting agent for dishwashers such as this stuff
http://shop.seventhgeneration.com/rinse-aid.html

John