First time member??

Discussion on general flowbench design
Len C

Re: First time member??

Post by Len C »

Hi Guys I've been a lurker for quite some time and finally decided to build my own bench even though I have free access to a sf600, the machine shop that does all my work pretty much gives me free reign to use much of the equipment, as I used to do some of his port and valve work and he also sends all his engines to my dyno. It takes time to drive to his shop and I feel that some times I am inconveniencing him. So here I am. I'm an old fart and have to do things my way but I'm always studying how other people do things and not unwilling to accept other peoples ideas. I've already got most of the mechanical's of the bench built and recently ordered the ssr controller and contactor from Bruce and when I have the wiring all complete will order the dm. Now the question, is there a wiring diagram for the motor controls? When the bench is finished I'll try and post pics.
Len C
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Welcome Len C, good to have you here with an ongoing project.
Yes there engines connection schemes, but this in restricted area for those who bought PTS plans.
But I anticipate that the biggest problem is related to the amperes that you have available on your network.
In my view amelhor choice are blowers with voltage 220 that requires less amperes.
Good luck with your project. ;)
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
Tony

Post by Tony »

is there a wiring diagram for the motor controls?
Yes there is, and I believe Bruce includes a copy with the SSR controller you purchased.
If not contact Bruce he will provide all the information you need to get it working.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Len C

Post by Len C »

Tony I thought there would be a schematic with the control but wasn't, I can probably figure it out but would feel more comfortable if I had something to start with, I don't like smoke. Hotz I have 9 surplus center 240 volt motors in my bench , thats 40.5 amps or about 12 hp. Some how when I look at a 6 hp shop vac I wonder what they are using for their hp formula.
Len C
Len C

Post by Len C »

Hi All I emailed Bruce and he sent me all the schematics. I was wondering if it makes sense to divide the motors into 2 banks (6 + 3) after the SSR to cut down on the amps or is the SSR efficient enough on its own. I would think 6 motors would be good to 300 cfm or so.
Len C
Tony

Post by Tony »

Its just a case of counting amps, and of the SSR having sufficient current capacity.
The SSR will also require an adequate heat sink, especially if the current being controlled is going to be pretty high.

If you can hold your finger continuously on the heat sink without actually screaming, its probably o/k.
292turbo

Post by 292turbo »

Hi, everybody. New guy here on the forum. I was wondering about the restricted areas on this site mentioned with only access if you purchase the plans? I got my plans a week or so ago and didnt see any special code or password in the mix, maybe because i ordered them with a cert bank check instead of credit card on the website? Should i e-mail Bruce to have him hook me up or am i missing something? Thanks for the help, and looking forward to getting my bench completed..........and oh yes, i'll be bugging you guys for help!!
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

292turbo wrote:Hi, everybody. New guy here on the forum. I was wondering about the restricted areas on this site mentioned with only access if you purchase the plans? I got my plans a week or so ago and didnt see any special code or password in the mix, maybe because i ordered them with a cert bank check instead of credit card on the website? Should i e-mail Bruce to have him hook me up or am i missing something? Thanks for the help, and looking forward to getting my bench completed..........and oh yes, i'll be bugging you guys for help!!

Yes, my mistake. That info is sent out as a reply to the PayPal email I get confirming the plans purchase. Since we did the "check thing" I never remembered to send out that email.

You have an email now :D
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
292turbo

Post by 292turbo »

Thanks, Bruce, got it! I would like to follow whats being talked about online just because i'm an info junkie. Not sure how to navigate the site yet. Is there a spot to check build pics? I have a few ideas of my own on, things like motor mounting and the like. Thanks for any help..........
Tony

Post by Tony »

Once you get into the restricted section, its now the busiest part of the forum with lots of build pictures and heaps of ideas.