Books and CD'S on head porting.

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
Flash

Books and CD'S on head porting.

Post by Flash »

I bought a book by John Dalton: Practical Gas Flow
Its a good one and have read it a couple of times now.

Ordered some CD off of speed talk.

"Porting by the Numbers" by Darin Morgan

"Porting Professor" by Joe Mondello(two disc CD)
and
"Charge Motion Porting" by Mike Chapman.

Have had these CD for several week now and have listened to them all, several time now.

Porting by the Numbers is my favorite,
When he was taking about the numbers backing up, and a cam that was .400 lift, before the numbers backed up, made suck a power loss.........i still have my work cut out for me, on my heads

Porting professor was next and had some good info as well.
I specially like the story about the head that was backing up and was found with a "wet" flow bench. And the problem was in the combustion bowl area like mine was. Thanks again Chris!!!!

Charge Motion was my least favorite of them all.
I don't know if, some of it was just over my head, and I'm going to listen to it at a later date, and a "light" :idea: will turn on in my head.....or..........

Any ways, that's the one's I have bought!
What ones have you liked........or disliked!
Gordon
jfholm

Re: Books and CD'S on head porting.

Post by jfholm »

Darin Morgan's Porting by the Numbers is the best one by a long shot. He gives "real" knowledge in it not hype. You have to listen a couple of times to get what he is saying. His stuff and the information by Larry Meaux cannot be beat. Visit Larry Meaux's site and you will get a ton of valuable information if you look for Larry's comments. I have put what Larry and Darin have said into practical use and it works.

John
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

I bought the whole package. Listened to them many times. You will have to understand how the information can be used and what the guys are referring to. Too many different head types out there. Work on the bench knowing what you listened to and also learn for yourself and merge the two. Incorporate the stuff that Larry M writes about in regards to older style heads.

Harold Bettes CD is really good. More about airflow dynamics so to speak.

Yeah, once I got the wetflow rig running, I was seeing what they meant.

Flash, you got a PM
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

I have a new thread comming for us to learn from. Going to be a back to back with velocity #'s, CFM, car times, and wet flow, etc. What I got so far for numbers will be good to see. This is going to apply to a "low port" head.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
Flash

Post by Flash »

blaktopr wrote:I have a new thread comming for us to learn from. Going to be a back to back with velocity #'s, CFM, car times, and wet flow, etc. What I got so far for numbers will be good to see. This is going to apply to a "low port" head.
Looking forward to that one!!!!! :D
Gordon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Well i ordered up some more CD. and have listened to them all several times now.

Harold Bettes, "Flow Theory."
That one when on the top shelf right next to Darin Morgans "porting by the numbers"
I have never heard of Harold before but there is a lot of grate info there.

Next was Jim McFarland, "intake manifold science" I have read several of his articles on N2performance. but most of then have gone away now.
this CD was grate help getting a little bit of understanding of the intake manifold as it's still black art to me, and have been afraid to do much more then clean imperfection in my manifold because of it.
I'm not ready to do any major work on my manifold But i fill a little bit better about some Minor mods now.

The last CD, i wasn't sure i wanted, but it had more info on intake porting, Phil Martin "Nascar Head and intake porting"
Being a Drag Racer my self, i wasn't sure how much of this would apply.................
He did some drag racing before he when to nascar, and refereed his work back to drag racing a lot.
Yes this was another good CD and would recommended all 3 to any one!
Gordon