Racing Research flow bench

Discussion on general flowbench design
1960FL

Re: Racing Research flow bench

Post by 1960FL »

Yes you are correct in your test except if you are testing in the intake mode you need to open one of the rear orifices, in my narrative i forgot to tell you to put it in exhaust mode. So double check your numbers on DP and i will get back to you later today as i need to find my sf110/120 manual.

Rick
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Tbone do you have any specification on this bench? max flow etc.

thanks.
tbone

Post by tbone »

1960FL wrote:Tbone do you have any specification on this bench? max flow etc.

thanks.
This is an odd bench. I was curious about the read out for the test pressure because it did not seem right. I used a digital manometer to do some comparison to the digital readout on the bench. The digital display on the bench seems to read in millibars. I changed units on my digital manometer to millibar and compared to the bench display and it matches the readout perfectly so I think the digital readout is set to read in millibars. I do not think this little bench will pull 10 inches of water on a test piece. I can unplug all orifices and totally plug the inlet hole and it will only pull 11.3 inches of water for test pressure with my digital manometer plugged into the test pressure tube. The bench display reads 28.1 with all orifice holes open and the inlet blocked. If you convert 28.1 millibars to inches of water it is exactly 11.3 which is what my manometer read on the inches of water setting.

Is this how I was supposed to figure the DP? I only get a test pressure reading with all holes open and the intake blocked on the intake setting. With all orifices blocked and the inlet open I do not get a reading for test pressure.

I pulled the front plate off and it has two digital Dwyer pressure sensors that read test pressure and the pressure between the vacuum motor and orifice plate.

Thanks again for the help. This is getting interesting.
tbone

Post by tbone »

I have the updated SF110 manual. I emailed them and got the most recent manual. I can not upload it because the file size is too big.
tbone

Post by tbone »

Honestly I am thinking about adding manual U manometers and an incline manometer for the percent flow. I think it would be easier and more stable. I would also add a temperature sensor before and after the motor to measure temp difference. I am not a big fan of the digital readout. They fluctuate a lot.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Tbone yes you are right so with intake plugged and any or all orifices open what is the test pressure at 100% on the flow reading.

and yeas i agree that conversion to fluid manometers will be just fine for what you are doing.

Rick
tbone

Post by tbone »

1960FL wrote:Tbone yes you are right so with intake plugged and any or all orifices open what is the test pressure at 100% on the flow reading.
The reading was 11.3 inches of water or 28.1 millibar on the digital readout.
tbone

Post by tbone »

How would I set up an inclined manometer for percent of flow? Is one side of the manometer vented to ambient air and the other side the pressure before the orifice? I understand the percent flow scale, what I am confused about is how the pressure relates to a % before the plate. Flow would equal a % of the test pressure? So if pressure before the plate is 5 and test pressure is 10 then this is 50%?

Thanks
Tony

Post by Tony »

An inclined manometer to measure flow is connected to measure the differential pressure drop across the measurement orifice.
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/view ... &view=next
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.