3D printed valve opener test

Discussion on general flowbench design
tafeteacher

3D printed valve opener test

Post by tafeteacher »

This is a test picture for the 3D printed valve opener
20211230_110802.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tafeteacher

Re: 3D printed valve opener test

Post by tafeteacher »

Another view
20211230_110812.png
20211230_110819.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

And a couple of the fixture to hold the linear sensor for the camshaft lift measurements in Audie Tech CAM Pro. These new resin printers are sooo nice
20211230_110825.png
20211230_110835.png
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Those are some nice prints!
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

Brucepts wrote:Those are some nice prints!
The resin printer is awesome. It's a bit unusual how you're supposed to print at 45 degrees, however it does turn out very nice. There is some shrinkage issues, however I'm working my way through that so I can factor shrinkage in when designing the part in the first place.
tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

Some pics of making the parts
Resized 1.jpg
Resized 2.jpg
Resized 3.jpg
tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

When printed it comes out a bit like perspex, and you can drill it. It does seem to harden a bit more over time and become a bit more brittle, however I'm still learning with it.
The one upside is it means I can design a valve opener that is designed for 3D printing and I can make it at home without going into the workshop to use the manual or CNC machines. Draw it, print it, flow it.... That's the plan anyway
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Does the slicer generate the supports?

I watched a few videos of the process, look like it can be a messy/smelly process?
Bruce

tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

It can be I guess. I've been extra careful and have been using a product called E-Sun PLA Pro. It's meant to be "ABS like". We started at work using the E-Sun PLA and did find it quite smelly to the point it was annoying, however I've found the PLA Pro to be hardly smelly at all. My wife hasn't complained about it, so it must be OK...LOL

The big difference is that the part is solid. You also have to think a bit about how you design it.

Yes it generates the supports automatically however you can change it and add supports or drag the support around. It's quite reasonable to use to be honest.

The trick is to tilt it at an angle for printing. We did the first couple of prints like we would for an FDM printer. They were hard to remove. I've found it doesn't like large flat surfaces and is better on detail. The valve opener and Cam Pro Plus holder were pretty good to do. It's definitely how I'll do cylinder head specific valve openers going forward.

I've done a 6 tube bulkhead fitting to bring all the pressure points into a box that will hold all the electronics. It turned out pretty good. I'd be happy to mail you a couple if you like and put the STL file up if anyone wants to print one.
6 fitting bulkhead printing.jpg
6 fitting bulkhead washed.jpg
6 fitting bulkhead finished.jpg
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Does open up new possibilities on projects!

Been using my 3d printer for all sorts of things in the shop, mostly layout fixtures and rapid prototype before making the part in aluminum/steel.

I'm behind the curve on 3d drawing/design though so each project has been a learning experience.
Bruce