Vacuum motors in Europe - What did you buy?

Thomas-Denmark

Re: Vacuum motors in Europe - What did you buy?

Post by Thomas-Denmark »

Thomas-Denmark wrote:
RomanoDuc wrote:I was wondering if you ended up running the flow bench, and what motors did you use?
Have you used the Domel motors?
I'm also in the early stages of building, i want to buy the flow performance kit but I want to see if I can find the right engines first.

Thanks
Hi RomanoDuc

I purchased 10 pcs (only installed 6 pcs due to power availability) 467.3.402-5 motors which appear to be very good! -I will attach the specs and the contact details to the very friendly person who assisted me during the purchase. We went through 3-4 blower motor options and I choose the beforementioned. Oh, and the motors were only 36.70 Euro a piece!!

The bench is almost ready to run. I´m struggling with the electrical part. I can't get the signal from the SSR & transformer to the blowers. There is no "out" signal, but I will figure it out. I have thus far only installed a transformer 24/230V on one phase and I suspect that this is the culprit... -I have tested the motors prior to installation though, and they seem to kick ***

Below is Miss Spela Kavcic direct contact information

Špela Kavčič

Prodaja / Sales

E: spela.kavcic@domel.com

T: +386 (0)4 51 17 206
http://www.domel.com[/color]
Here is the blower data as png

/Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RomanoDuc

Post by RomanoDuc »

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you switch 6 motors of 5.73A? because 5.73x230 x 6= 7.9KW
Here in the Netherlands we have 230 volt 16A witch is 3680 watt.

Can you use this motor for suction ánd blowing?
Why the use of a SSR instead of just a simple on/off switch?
Final question, do you have the flow performance kit?
Thomas-Denmark

Post by Thomas-Denmark »

I´m glad that you found it of some use.

Well, here in Denmark we too have 16A normally. However, I found out that the fuses out in the street were 35A so I have drawn a bigger cable from the electrical board in the house and out in my workshop, and added a 32A auto fuse on each phase.

I will only need the motors to create depression, as the PTS bench has a switch plate in it´s design, enabling us to test both intake and exhaust valves. If that was what you meant?

Well, the SSR and phase angle control enables us to adjust the the motor speed and thereby the depression to 28" of H2O instead of having to run the motors at full speed and use bleed valves to get down to 28 inches of H2O...

No, I do not have the flow performance kit. I bought as much as I could from Bruce´s store. You´ll get more or less all you need, and I find it way better. I might add the performance trends black box later on, just for the fun of it. But really, all the parts here will provide for a great flowbench with automatic depression control..

I hope that I got the above right, I myself am new in this...
RomanoDuc wrote:Hi Thomas,

Tony

Post by Tony »

With those motors capable of around 17 CFM per amp, and 30 odd amps available 500 CFM might be achievable.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
RomanoDuc

Post by RomanoDuc »

Ahh oke, i understand.

I mixed up two websites, there is one other who sells DIY flowbench parts.
I compare both and try to find out what's best for me.

A while ago i was able to buy a superflow SF120 with flowcom, alltough we had an agreement the seller suddenly sold it to an other buyer.
Now i decided to make a flowbench myself, because it's very difficult to buy one.

An SF260 flows 200 CFM at 28" wc and needs 230 volt 12A power supply, i think that is enough for my needs.
I only do a small cilinderhead and carburettor.

Thomas-Denmark wrote:I´m glad that you found it of some use.

Well, here in Denmark we too have 16A normally. However, I found out that the fuses out in the street were 35A so I have drawn a bigger cable from the electrical board in the house and out in my workshop, and added a 32A auto fuse on each phase.

I will only need the motors to create depression, as the PTS bench has a switch plate in it´s design, enabling us to test both intake and exhaust valves. If that was what you meant?

Well, the SSR and phase angle control enables us to adjust the the motor speed and thereby the depression to 28" of H2O instead of having to run the motors at full speed and use bleed valves to get down to 28 inches of H2O...

No, I do not have the flow performance kit. I bought as much as I could from Bruce´s store. You´ll get more or less all you need, and I find it way better. I might add the performance trends black box later on, just for the fun of it. But really, all the parts here will provide for a great flowbench with automatic depression control..

I hope that I got the above right, I myself am new in this...
RomanoDuc wrote:Hi Thomas,

CA-Cylinderheads

Post by CA-Cylinderheads »

Hi.

I run 6x Dyson DC08 engines (1600 watt each engine) - pretty affordable and has been runing for years in my old bench, and 3 years in my new bench.

I run my bench on 3 phases.

// Chris.
CCRacer

Post by CCRacer »

Does anyone have the specifications for the Dyson DC08 motor at all? I've searched everywhere for it including the YDK website and can't find anything for it. These particular motors are very inexpensive in the UK at the moment so might give them a try. Thanks in advance
"The only source of knowledge is experience"
"If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got!!"
Tony

Post by Tony »

You could always buy just one and do some testing.
Cheap is good, but not if the performance is really pathetic.

What you are looking for is a figure for CFM per amp at 44 inches of back pressure.
8 CFM per amp is pretty crappy.
12 CFM per amp about average.
16 CFM per amp really good.
This is for 220/240v motors.

Most of us are limited by power availability, and its entirely possible that a really good set of motors can achieve DOUBLE the airflow of junk motors.
Size and cost is no indication of performance.
Expensive motors may actually be quite reasonable, but their efficiency peak may be in a pressure region that is of less usefulness in a flow bench.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
CCRacer

Post by CCRacer »

Tony, I'm probably going to use the Ametek 122286 motors as I can get them here reasonably easily. With a 38.1mm/1.5in inlet they provide 122.8cfm at 7.1A which is good for 17.3cfm/A if my maths is correct.

I helped build a small bench top flow bench about 25years ago and scavenged a couple of YDK motors from a Dyson DC03 (I think) and they were really good. The YDK DC08 motors are readily available here as well which I've heard are very good so I may grab one and do some testing. Might also check out the Domel motors

I (we) have 230v 50Hz single phase here in the UK as most already know. Thankfully my inlet is 100A max but with 6 motors I'll only be pulling 42A and with 8 motors 56A. The inlet is through my garage and I'd be very close to the distribution board with the flowbench as well so a decent industrial plug and socket won't go amiss subject to my nephew's input as he's an electrical engineer. I know just a bit more than the basics when it comes to this stuff. I think I'll also need to make sure that I only run the bench when there's either no one else running anything or only very little otherwise I'll get the lights flickering.......don't that before ;-)
"If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got!!"
CCRacer

Post by CCRacer »

CA-Cylinderheads wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:04 am Hi.

I run 6x Dyson DC08 engines (1600 watt each engine) - pretty affordable and has been runing for years in my old bench, and 3 years in my new bench.

I run my bench on 3 phases.

// Chris.
What depression and flow are you getting with these motors?