240volt motors and SSR issues

Discussion on general flowbench design
NZ Mike

Re: 240volt motors and SSR issues

Post by NZ Mike »

My running theory was to run 3 of the kemo modules, each running 2 motors. Which should see them kept at 11A max per module. All just ideas at this stage and i am glad for the time you have taken replying so far.

I assume by small circuitboard to attach to the ssr from Farnell/element14, you are talking about a phase angle control board? Forgive the questions, this is all learning for me and i am trying to absorb it all.

I found this while browsing today, aside from the amp rating being too low, would something like this work?
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/thyristors/2329353?gb=s

The help is much appreciated.
Tony

Re: 240volt motors and SSR issues

Post by Tony »

That last module has one serious problem, it uses a "triac" as the main power controlling device, and not back to back SCRs.

The difference is that triacs can be very temperamental and can become erratic in the presence of electrical noise. If you read through the data sheet for that module, it says suitable for resistive and SOME types of inductive load. I am pretty sure, sparky old brush motors are going to cause a lot of grief.

Good random fire power modules use back to back SCRs and are extremely tolerant of nasty sparky loads.
There really are no short cuts to any of this.

Still think you are going to have to grit your teeth, hold your nose, and cough up the outrageous postage and import tax and get something from Bruce.

In pretty much the same situation here, the US/Aussie exchange rate is not particularly good right now either.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.