pts plans

Discussion on general flowbench design
zums

pts plans

Post by zums »

can the bench be made to pull 550-600 cfm@28 with a 110 plug, generally how many motors would this take
Flash

Re: pts plans

Post by Flash »

when you run 6-10 of then vac motors together.......It takes some amperage..............
Gordon
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

Zums. Tell me exactly what your concerns are, and what kind of power you have available. House/garage etc. I'm an electrical contractor, plus I have tested Bruce's bench and my own and know the current draw using 110v motors in a 220v system. Bench design comes into play also in regards to # of motors to cfm and depression. I can personally pull 650+ at 28". Bruce's bench pull close to the same. I am currently using 10 of the old Surplus Center motors that are nowhere near the efficiency of the Lighthouse motors. Coulterracin has the newer Lighthouse motors going in soon and will be reporting the kind of #'s he sees.

Right now my bench is set up for higher depression readings. I am currently testing a 360 cfm head at 36" with only 5 motors.

:lol: :lol: I hope Rick don't read this! :lol: :lol: Gotcha!
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
zums

Post by zums »

thanks blacktopr ,should have the plans by mon, this will be in a house basement, all of my wall sockets are 110, just wanted to get an idea if i could accomplish an accurate workable depression for cyl heads with lighthouse or amteck motors and be able to plug into a 110 recepticle
coulterracn

Re: PTS plans

Post by coulterracn »

zums wrote:thanks blaktopr ,should have the plans by mon, this will be in a house basement, all of my wall sockets are 110, just wanted to get an idea if i could accomplish an accurate workable depression for cyl heads with lighthouse or Amtek motors and be able to plug into a 110 receptacle
I'd plan on running an 80 -100 amp, 220 vac service to the basement. This should be plenty of amperage for the bench and future growth.

Like blaktopr mentioned I'll have some information on CFM's and amperage draw from my bench. I had enough CFM and test pressure to do most any small block heads and a few big block heads. The bench was weak when we bolted this Big Chief head on. That's the reason for going with the lighthouse motors.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

zums wrote:thanks blacktopr ,should have the plans by mon, this will be in a house basement, all of my wall sockets are 110, just wanted to get an idea if i could accomplish an accurate workable depression for cyl heads with lighthouse or amteck motors and be able to plug into a 110 recepticle
Either your main panel is in the garage or it is in the basement. Either way it would be easy enough to run a 220v line to the area you are working. There are different wire methods to do so. If you were to plug into a 110v outlet, you would be only good for like 2 motors. Most likely, the outlets are on one circuit, 15 or 20 amp. So even if you plug into another outlet, 2 motors would be the max.

Another alternative if panel in basement. Grab some 12-2 Romex and run like 5 circuits from the panel to an area by the bench. Each circuit will have a single outlet on the wall. Then 2 motors from the bench will be hooked to a cord to plug in. Its a little archaic, but its another way to do it.

All 10 motors in my bench pulls under 50 amps per leg. A 6/3 romex to a 220v 50 amp breaker ran from the panel can be installed into a subpanel on the wall or a dryer type outlet. If the panel is installed in the bench like Bruce's, then the outlet on the wall can be used to plug the panel into, or the wire can be hardwired into the bench. Just get a 60 amp disconect, like for an outside A/C condensor, if you do that.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

I have 8 - LH9563-120 motors in my personal PTS Flowbench they are wired off a 220 50amp line.

Bench CFM output @28" with these motors is as follows:

2 - 150
3 - 265
4 - 380
5 - 448
6 - 503
7 - 550
8 - 600

If know I had the amps listed on the old forum, somewhere in my notes I have that info also but at the present time I can't find it but will post it when I do or re-measure it again.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

Bruce, all 8 of the old motors were like 43 amps.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com