New here... NEEDING assistance

Discussion on general flowbench design
oldeskewltoy

New here... NEEDING assistance

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Hi all... I'm new to this forum. I found it after being MASSIVELY frustrated with the responses I was getting from A.L. @ Flow Performance.

I purchased one of their FR2.0 systems and their operating manual is a joke to use! Actually.... they don't have a manual per say, but a series of pdf that kinda make up a manual. Even with all of the supplied info, I can't even get it calibrated. :x :evil: :x

My issue was caused when using the bench the very 1st time, the calibration was changed inadvertantly (calibrating was changed by mistake, we were trying to change the pressure from 28" down to 25" to check it against a known head that was tested @ 25") when a few incorrect key strokes changed the calibration

After that... I had a person who said they knew WTF they were doing except now the screen shows different things.... and I'm CONFUSED very very confused. I'm not even sure if I have a pitot system or an orifice system. I did order it with a velocity probe, and as mentioned it is equipped with PS3, but they are not yet connected.

I'm a beginner porter - understanding how a mismatched port shape(do to casting errors, or production ease) can be improved to advance power, and economy. I purchased the FP2.0 as a tool to further educate myself on porting no no's and yes yes's. My intention wasn't to learn about the equipment of porting, but to learn more about porting and to properly use/set the equipment for consistent, RELIABLE readings/results

1) Has anyone developed their own operations manual for the Flow Performance FP2.0? The series of documents (pdf file)from Flow Performance only confuse me more

2) Can anyone help me understand anything in this piece of equipment?

3) I have an FP2 that came equipped with PS3 (their connections so I can meause velocity with a pitot tube) Its my understanding that I purchased this with a pitot tube. When I log into my system... it says set for orifice. It came with a calibration plate. Do I calibrate a pitot tube system with the plate?

Is anyone on these boards in the Portland Ore area that has experience with a Flow Performance FP2.0 flowbench? Can I persuade you to stop by??
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: New here... NEEDING assistance

Post by Brucepts »

You state you have the FP2 from their website this appears to be a 3" Water Column digital manometer? Or do you have the FP2.0BS which is the basic kit of PVC pipe parts and FP1 digital manometer?

If you purchased the "PVC pipe" parts you have a pitot style flowbench.

Did you talk to John at FP? He should be able to get you running. I'm not familiar with his software anymore, I'm sure it's changed since I last used his product. Someone here will probably be able to help you get it going again though. Might take a day or two till it gets seen by those whom might know . . .
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Brucepts wrote:You state you have the FP2 from their website this appears to be a 3" Water Column digital manometer? Or do you have the FP2.0BS which is the basic kit of PVC pipe parts and FP1 digital manometer?

If you purchased the "PVC pipe" parts you have a pitot style flowbench.

Did you talk to John at FP? He should be able to get you running. I'm not familiar with his software anymore, I'm sure it's changed since I last used his product. Someone here will probably be able to help you get it going again though. Might take a day or two till it gets seen by those whom might know . . .

thank you... I've only had the "pleasure" of chatting(email only) with A.L. :x I've not yet had a conversation with John.... if he is more helpful than A.L. please I'd love to get in contact with ANYONE who can help... for right now I've got a $1500 pile of crap... NOT an effective tool/learning aid.

it is the PVC pipe model... I've built it into a bakers rack cart to make it a bit easier to move

1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

oldeskewltoy,

Have you had any luck resolving your issues? is it working yet?

Would like to here how your porject is working out.

Rick
kwgeorge

Post by kwgeorge »

good luck with any thing usefull from al allways had good help from john but he seems to be missing george
racehead

Post by racehead »

I did started out with the FP1 and a pitot style bench. I learned the hard way!
Forget the The FP1 and the rest of the system, buy the plans from Bruce for the orifice bench and all of his system, you will get all the help to get the job done and be much happier, that is what I did. The time that you are going to spend getting your system working the right way " if it will ever be" you will get Bruce´s bench ready :P .
Well.... that is my opinion.
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

1960FL wrote:oldeskewltoy,

Have you had any luck resolving your issues? is it working yet?

Would like to here how your porject is working out.

Rick
SLOWLY getting there. We have a few more answers, and I have a few more questions... BUT it coming along - thanks almost entirley to my wife and her ultimate patience level in refering between A.L. response, and their documents. The BIGGEST screw up as we see it is they cover all their equipment with one set of "documents" and it is hard to figure out what goes with what.
kwgeorge wrote:good luck with any thing usefull from al allways had good help from john but he seems to be missing george
Do you know John's email?

It seems that when I express a question to A.L. in just the right way, I get an answer, but if the question is the least bit vague - he refers me to the "documents" pages they have to assist me. One of the questions they have yet to answer is the seem to change terminology and inter-use SCFM, and CFM when describing the readings from a few of their PDFs from their "documents" page

racehead wrote:I did started out with the FP1 and a pitot style bench. I learned the hard way!
Forget the The FP1 and the rest of the system, buy the plans from Bruce for the orifice bench and all of his system, you will get all the help to get the job done and be much happier, that is what I did. The time that you are going to spend getting your system working the right way " if it will ever be" you will get Bruce´s bench ready :P .
Well.... that is my opinion.
I would LOVE to switch, the problem is as of now I don't have the funds too, and so far even if I had the funds, my usage is almost exclusively one head so far (Toyota 4AGE), without enough income, buying another/building another flowbench is just out of the question. I'm pretty sure from perusing this forum that *IF* I had purchased Bruce's product, I WOULD NOT be having the difficulties I am :!:

To Bruce - I ESPECIALLY want to thank you for allowing me to use your forum for guiding me with a competitors product. Having been in forum life for 10+ years now (LOOONG term moderator @ club4ag) I more than ever am LEARNING to understand and sympathize with neewbs who barg in and ask questions about a product or procedure based on another manufacturers information.

For example... how many Toyota forums tolerate Hondas... or Chevy forums tolerate Fords.

So to Bruce... thank you VERY much!!!
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Forum is open to all flowbench discussion, I have no problem with this :)

Having had my own frustrations in the past with this vendor I can TOTALLY understand! I have first hand knowledge of that product line since I was involved in early product design/prototype (still have early emails and sketches that were exchanged).

I tend to let them handle their own customer service . . . that is why I now supply PTS orifice style parts and digital flowbench products :D
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .