Very strange question (newbie)

Discussion on general flowbench design
DavidGraham

Very strange question (newbie)

Post by DavidGraham »

Basically, I'm doing research for a company about the foam that they use.
It is 7PPI open celled (reticulated) Polyurathane foam, similar to this
http://www.inostech.com/wbcntnt/wp-cont ... CN0641.jpg

We basically want to measure the pressure drop of the foam, and ultimately relate this to porosity as its very important to the foams usage.

I know this is a big ask but I am limited in knowledge and experience and I am looking to design a simple pressure drop device, using some PVC piping 2 Manometers either side of the foam a flow meter and some form of vacuum device.

Firstly is this possible and if so could someone please explain a simple design to me?

Any help will be greatily appreciated.

Regards,
Dave
1960FL

Re: Very strange question (newbie)

Post by 1960FL »

I would start very simply by creating a sample of the foam to be tested, say take a 6” square sample and clamp it between two plates with 4” diameter hole exposing the sample, label both sides “A” and “B”. Place the sample on top of a conventional flow bench and begin to raise depression 1”, 2”, 3”, etc. recording depression and flow continue until the foam deflects to a point of deformation. Plot your results. Turn the foam over repeat on side “B”. Now develop a method by which you might use some type of See-Saw gauge with a small loop resting on the center of the foam and the other side sharpened to a point and aligned with a scale, say 1/64 or 1mm rule. Repeat the above tests this time recording depression, flow and foam deflation at each point.

Graph and enjoy a cocktail while you attempt to make some correlation to all your data.

Did measuring device affect flow is flow linear or does the foam close up on itself with air flow….. is deflection linear to depression and flow ????

I don’t know you go figure this part out.

Rick