Help and Ideas I am new to the forum.

Discussion on general flowbench design
wheeljack545

Help and Ideas I am new to the forum.

Post by wheeljack545 »

I want to up grade my SF600 or build a new one. Just not sure which way to go. I want to add at least 8 more blowers. where I can flow at higher pressures at least up to 100 wc. Just getting started on this and not sure what to look for. Also will the sf600 handle the pressure. Is there a way to change the metering plate in the sf600 so i could flow more cfm's for carbs. I been to an advance air flow class. It showed me I dont know the first thing about anything in an engines air flow. So I quit my job as a machinist, to go to school for mechanical engineering. Now I want to up grade my flow bench so I can make an even better head. Thanks for any and all Help. Steve
1960FL

Re: Help and Ideas I am new to the forum.

Post by 1960FL »

Steve,

Welcome if i were in your shoes i would study the forum a bit read some of the posts especially the thread on SF 600 orifice sizes then i would sell my SF 600 and build a real flow bench of proper design. The SF 600 seams to be maxing out on design around 500 CFM and then with the numbers start to go off. Some of us think it is the way the plate is at an angle and also the smaller size of the settling chambers. If you are looking for a big bench to flow 1000 or so CFM or just get to 100" water you could build a modified PTS bench Bruce has a set of plans that he has been playing with that are 12 motors. Please remember you get to this level and you need a lot of power we are talking in the 80 to 100 amp range to the bench. The current PTS 8 motor bench with a single controller is pulling about 40 amps with the lighthouse motors. My guess is if you are good at your game you could build a 12 to 16 motor all digital bench for under $2500 US.

Rick
wheeljack545

Re: Help and Ideas I am new to the forum.

Post by wheeljack545 »

Rick Thanks a lot. Yeah when I had them to run all my 220v power 6mo ago. I got them to run me 2 50amp 220v where I wanted my bench to go. That way i would have the power I need. I found out the hard way about my bench falling off at 500cfms. WOrking on my first set of chevy bb brodix about 5yrs ago. Had to drop to 20in wc I think to get it done. I knew then I was going to have to up grade. Just know getting around to it and know just enough that I know I doint know any thing. I think every time i answer a question. I wind up with 10 to 20 more. Thanks again looks like I have more reading to do!!