hey all you veterans on cylinder head guides

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
msj442

hey all you veterans on cylinder head guides

Post by msj442 »

heres my question. i have been doing heads for around 17 years now and i have ran into something i thought i would never see. it is the early 90's style heads that had the swirl ports in them. 193 casting to be exact. (i hate these heads) some of those heads had 3/8 stem exhaust valves in them. well the ones im working on have those. it is a trade job so was going to whip them out and he would be on his way. well he had one head that was 11/32 and the other 3/8 so i told him i would just drive in liners to make them all 11/32. sounds easy enough right. i know ive done alot of these. well i was broaching the liners to size and the two center ones would not get to size.i have no hone otherwise i could have done that. so i removed the liners to start over and i found one of the guides was into the freggin water jacket. alot!! didnt even bore them. they were loose so knurled them resized then drove a liner in. this casting had to of been paper thin. have any of you guys seen this? on the small block chevy only. i know others have this but i need to know if i am the only one that has seen this.

max
1960FL

Re: hey all you veterans on cylinder head guides

Post by 1960FL »

it is a trade job so was going to whip them out
Max not i have never seen anything with water that close to the guide that is some serious core shift. But i do feel your pain allways happens on a trade deal.

Rick
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

I have run into the same issue. Green locktite liberally applied helps. Some heads came with water behind the guides. Early Big Block Chevy if I remember correctly and they had a stepped guide you could only put it one way. I found out the hard way. I drove the guide out the wrong way and ruined the head. Did not find out until after he reinstalled and it leaked into the cylinder. And yes it was a trade job also. ;) I think the Chevy 235 six cylinder also has water cooled exhaust and has to be driven out from the chamber side and installed from the spring pad side.

But anyway, I think if you use green locktite it should work.

John
msj442

Post by msj442 »

yeah knew about the bbc. i was gonna use that stuff goodson has thats pink,ceramic,thought it would work.
thanks for tip john. was going nuts . was the only one in my area that has seen this. now the guy thinks i dont now what im doing. i can only explain and defend myself so much. lol

thanks, max
msj442

Post by msj442 »

havent forgot about your aetc cd,tapes. lol