Somewhat flow related . . .

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
Brucepts
Site Admin

Somewhat flow related . . .

Post by Brucepts »

So this past weekend we had a family camping trip which was to a local amusement park which has a rather large craftshow which my wife and daughter love and is a yearly trip! My son-in-law (sil) and I were in charge of the campfire, I had to make a roadtrip with my wife while we were there and while I was gone my sil got the fire ready while we were gone. He had everything going when we got back but somehow set the fire ring upside down, this came up later in the night while sitting around the fire and his wife (my daughter) started giving him a hard time about it!

I looked at the fire and said; "he didn't set it up wrong he set it up so the airflow could easily enter the bottom of the fire ring with the bell mouthed entry"! A few minutes discussion was had on airflow with my daugther conceding her mistake ;) We had an excellent fire all weekend long!
campfire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
jfholm

Re: Somewhat flow related . . .

Post by jfholm »

That fire ring is similar to the air flow in a Native American tee-pee. Went camping with a friend one time in a tee-pee. When set up the outer wall of the tee-pee is about 6 to 10 inches off the ground so there is an open space at the bottom of the wall. Then there is an inner wall about 4 feet tall that is set up about 6 - 10 inches in from the outer wall and the inner wall has a flap to go on the ground and in towards the center of the tee-pee to seal it off at the bottom. You have seen the opening at the top that can be controlled with a stick so the top opening serves as the draft. We then built a fire up in the middle of the tee-pee and it was the warmest I have ever been camping. Yes Bruce, air flow is all around us. :D

John