roots blower as an air mover??

Discussion on general flowbench design
1960FL

Re: roots blower as an air mover??

Post by 1960FL »

Tony wrote:
1960FL wrote: Tony, I think maybe you should try Man Grooming....
Wazzat ?
"Uglies"

In the states it is a slang term for His and Her PARTS used in the phrase “Bumping Uglies” or as Robert might put it “Getting Jiggy“ Thus to make ones Uglies more appealing to the ladies some metro types (Guy’s that use hand lotion and get there nails done), “Man Groom” I/E use the beard trimmer to tighten up the boys and lawn surrounding…. Also known as Manscaping…

So if your Uglies are Uglier you might just want to Man Groom.

You have now been informed.

LOL!

Rick
Tony

Post by Tony »

Rick,
In civilized countries, "uglies" just refer to a group of people that are not particularly attractive.

Funnily enough I once mentioned "a roots blower" in a conversation with one of my petrol head buddies at work, within the hearing of a certain attractive young lady.
She was not at all impressed, blushed bright red and never talked to me ever again.

Rick, I am always in trouble................
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Darcy R

Post by Darcy R »

Tony wrote:Rick,
Funnily enough I once mentioned "a roots blower" in a conversation with one of my petrol head buddies at work, within the hearing of a certain attractive young lady.
She was not at all impressed, blushed bright red and never talked to me ever again.

Tony, that made my day! Too funny!
brad_m

Post by brad_m »

Tony wrote:Rick,
In civilized countries, "uglies" just refer to a group of people that are not particularly attractive.

You can also swap out uglies with fuglies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlumQrW03IE
Beetle

Post by Beetle »

well it appears that my first attempt that did not work was due to my quickie wiring. tried it again with good connections to the motor and it works very well. the noise generated from the air was deafening!!!!!!!!! time to move forward with building this thing. need to get creative the the blower piping so I can make it blow and pull vacuum seeing as the motor is not reversible.
Tony

Post by Tony »

The motor can be reversed.
There will be two windings (four wires total) the main run winding plus a start winding that goes via the centrifugal switch.
Swapping around the two wires to either of these windings will reverse the rotation.

It will require a two pole two position switch to provide the forward/reverse function which will be a much neater solution than trying to re route the air.

Violently moving a lot of air is never a silent operation.
The air roar is going to be thunderous no matter what you use.
Just about ANYTHING will create less noise than a bunch of vacuum cleaner motors.
It will produce a lot less noise when enclosed within a closed blower compartment.
What it sounds like now is really no indication of what the finished bench will sound like.

Right now it is running flat out "pedal to the metal".
The ultimate final solution to all of this would be a VFD.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Beetle

Post by Beetle »

thanks Tony!!! we have a motor rebuild shop in town...he can set me straight as to what wires go where for the motor to reverse direction. I'm just super happy it works!!! now to design the rest of the bench. I have looked at a ton of different designs. they all have pluses and minuses in the design...making the whole thing as compact as possible and still work perfectly is my main goal
. my repair shop is not very big and it's all ready FILLED with diagnostic tools and equipment.