New guy needs professional help!

Discussion on general flowbench design
FRZ

New guy needs professional help!

Post by FRZ »

New to forum and confused.

Going to build new bench using PTS plans. Current bench has 10 motors, Eldim air straighteners Audie depression control and Meriam 21T Accutube.Want more flow capacity and better repeatability. When building the PTS bench can/should this stuff be used? I work on heads from stock un-ported circle track stuff up to blown Big Block Chevy stuff, high rpm small blocks in between. At the time I bought the Accutube I thought it would be more accurate than an orifice, after reading various posts I began to doubt my decision

Looking for direction

Thanks, FRZ :shock:
Tony

Re: New guy needs professional help!

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum FRZ.

More flow usually suggests more or bigger or more efficient motors, a lot depends on what you have now, and total back pressure these motors have to work against.

Audie depression control will be fine.

A basic problem with any pitot measurement system are the correction factors that need to be taken into account. That can be a nuisance, and correction rounding errors can creep in.

A ratiometric orifice bench is much simpler as no temperature correction is required, you just read the values straight off the computer screen.

Water manometers could be used, but the Forum digital manometer and associated software is such good value, anything else is just not worth bothering with.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
FRZ

Post by FRZ »

Thanks for the info, was planning to use the digital manometer, really tired of the water manometers, as my vision deteriorates I have to squint more and more.

As least as far as I'm concerned this forum is a goldmine, if nothing else it incites some serious thinking!

FRZ
Tony

Post by Tony »

With a set of flowbench plans, and Bruce's orifice plates you cannot go wrong.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
buddy b

Post by buddy b »

I agree with Tony,I just finished my flow bench and it works great . And Bruce has some of the best customer support I have seen .Now I just have to learn how to use it .LOL
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

It amazes me how this forum has changed having a flow bench from a dream to reality for so many! It is also probably one of the very best flow benches around. I have worked on quite a few of the "commercial" benches and they all have short comings. You can get rid of those short comings with this PTS setup. It is a well thought out unit with lots of input from many very smart people. :)