Leakage Difference, Bench Materials

Discussion on general flowbench design
HDgyro

Leakage Difference, Bench Materials

Post by HDgyro »

A couple questions for you more experienced guys.

I have the PTS bench plans, but I have no experience working with MDF sheet, only MDF trim pieces. It appears to be even heavier than particle board of equal thickness. Based on the plans, it looks like a six-motor version of the bench built from MDF could top 350 pounds.

Does a bench made of MDF hold up to the ravages of time?

Also, is there any difference in leakage caused by material substitutions? Or, are all leaks traceable to inadequate sealing of corner joints, doors, etc?

I'm hoping to do a bench build later this summer. Thanks!

Paul in Utah
1960FL

Re: Leakage Difference, Bench Materials

Post by 1960FL »

some simple answers to our questions, here in the US most laminate kitchen counter tops are made of an MDF or worse off particle board substrate and properly sealed when installed will outlast the owners wife's decorating tastes :-); That said if you use MDF pre drill glue and screw all joints then picture frame the entire interior with 3/4 x 3/4 pine or poplar you will have a structurally sound foundation. then seal the interior with at least one coat of primer and one coat of finish latex paint caulking all the corner seams in between coats and you will have a sealed box. For longevity you need to either seal and laminate of seal and paint the exterior to stop the deterioration of exterior moisture this includes the bottom. the motor door sealing is not an issue Bruce has a great solution, but even rubber/cork gasket sheet with the proper fasteners will seal for eternity.

Places to pay attention to are the workmanship of the slider and the mounting ans sealing of the motors.

Hope this helps.

Rick
HDgyro

Re: Leakage Difference, Bench Materials

Post by HDgyro »

Rick, thanks much. Your advice echoes what I've seen recommended on general cabinetry tutorials online.