flowbench motors for pts flowbench

Discussion on general flowbench design
fuller

flowbench motors for pts flowbench

Post by fuller »

Hi my name is Kevin and im new to this forum and flowbenchs. I have bruces plans on some parts already, but i was wondering whats the pro and cons of 110v vs 220v motors for building a flowbench. I also plan on building the 8 motor bench,i will be trying to flow @28 with mainly 4 and 5 valve heads with bores up in the 4.25 inch. Thanks and any advice
1960FL

Re: flowbench motors for pts flowbench

Post by 1960FL »

Welcome to the forum Kevin, With respect to the motors it really depends on a few details, 1.) where you are located and what you have available for power to the bench I/E in the US it may be easy to get 50amps of 240VAC in your shop, in parts of Europe and other countries it may be difficult to get 30amps. 2.) How do you plan on controlling the motor, I/E all on a controller of 4 on the speed controller and 4 on switches. 3.) how much you understand AC wiring and circuits.

Remember at your flowbench if you are in the states you will need 120VAC to run your computer and a few other odds and ends, yes you may have another outlet near for that or you may want the unit self contained, from that stand point in the states the 240VAC is actually 120vac + neutral + 120VAC so you would already have both at your disposal.

My personal bench is 4 120vac motors wired in 2=2 in series on a 240vac controller and 4 120vac individual motors on separate switches as add on motors.

I hope this helps in the thought process keep the questions coming someone will chime in.

Rick
kilgorepuller

Post by kilgorepuller »

Hey Kevin. I don't know if you talked to Bruce but I got my motors thru him at a good price and he was very helpful. Good luck on your build.
fuller

Post by fuller »

Thanks for the info. I live in the us and i plan on using a pts motor controller. My orginal thoughts were to have all the motors on one or two controllers.I have bought some parts of another person who was going to build a pts bench but ended up not needing all his part so i go 4 motors and thought they were 120v and turned out to be 220.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Not sure if this has been resolved but, in the plans there are schematics for using 120 or 220v motors. If you already have 220v motors you can use those as you would need 220v for either 120 or 220v motors for the flowbench build.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
fuller

Post by fuller »

Ill take a look at the plans again and we can figure out the wiring.
Ravoll

Post by Ravoll »

Hi Everybody,
I know this is an older thread but I will be faced with the same problem in a few weeks.I currently run my pts flowbench in Germany over three phase.
Running 3 220VAC motors over 380 volt,each motor on a seperate phase (L1,L2,L3) and Neutral.With controllers naturally.I would like to be able to use my setup in Texas but I have no idea if I can even get the same results,or if it's even possible.Also I have each motor running over its own controller.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Yes you should be able to make it work, in the States and depending on the power capacity of your controllers only need to use 1.

In the states depending on when the home was built power is always single phase (unless on an older farm then you may have 3 phase available) and most service mains will supply in the range of 150 to 250 amps of service with larger homes having more.

Power is supplied to the home at 220/230/240VAC 60Hz through a center tap transformer where center is neutral, here wall outlets are 120VAC and large appliances like water heaters, stoves, dryers and Air conditioners all run on 240vac. The mains panel will accept either 120vac or 240vac Breakers. As an example my home has 400 amp mains service and my welder is connected vial a 100 amp breaker. Power here is usually not an issue in the home, that said if the house has a detached garage or building that power may not be available there and will need to be added.

Last if you are moving her from a country that has 3 phase in the home or shop, if you have 3 phase equipment such as mill, lathe, drill you will need to purchase rotary three phase converter or build one from on line plans.

Hope this helps.

What part of Texas are you moving to?

Rick