Stopping Back In

Discussion on general flowbench design
HAULIN' IT

Stopping Back In

Post by HAULIN' IT »

Crazy how time flies! I found my original post digging around on the old site the other night so to save some typing, Here it is:

by HAULIN' IT » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:28 pm
Hi Guys! I've been looking around here a little while, looks like some GREAT info available, Thank You! I'm pretty inexperienced with the whole "air flow" thing (I know just enough to be dangerous to anything near me, but have the desire to learn much more). I have used a flow bench a couple times (went to a guy's shop & he said "the best way is to get an old head,ect. a play & see what happens when clay is added & metal is removed") So that's what I did a few times. About 10 years ago, I started to build a PHR magazine/MSD bench, it's really very near done. I guess from reading on here, those plans are less than ideal, but that's what I did LONG before I knew any different. It's been a while since I touched it (8 years?) I put 8 Ametec (ball bearing) motors on 3 switch/relays. I have had it running, but had leak troubles, mainly on the switching of intake & exhaust. What good, simple ways have you come up with? Maybe electric pull/push motors on gate valves or something? I would like to not have to manually open one door & close the other each time. I also need some help on the tubes/gauges, I have seen some good ideas on here already. I'll post some pictures on of these days.Thanks, Lorne

NOTHING has happened in the past 11 years with the bench so that makes a total of about 20 years since Ive touched it! The "good" as far as I see it is that since you guys haven't been sitting on your thumbs...I'm really ahead!
So by this time I have a nephew in his third year of mechanical engineering. We were in the garage one night & we got to talking about "What's up with the flowbench?" which has lead to me finding my way back here.
So now seeing what you guys have come up with as far as motor controls & such, Im going to get with Bruce for some items & either start over on the box/housing or remove the whole "pudding bowls" out of the equation, add the deck ports & go from there.

So Thank You Bruce for "still being here" & others (I see some of the same names)...Im going to need some help. Take Care, Lorne
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: Stopping Back In

Post by Brucepts »

Welcome back . . .
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
RACEPUMPER

Post by RACEPUMPER »

20 years is quite a break!
Sooooo much has happened, you'll need to catch up alright. Time to get reading.
If you can afford it, get a set of Bruce plans, even if you plan to stick with the MSD bench it will give you access to the plans area which is full of great

As Bruce said, welcome back!

Jim
I really love making stuff but don't finish much
HAULIN' IT

Post by HAULIN' IT »

RACEPUMPER wrote: If you can afford it, get a set of Bruce plans, even if you plan to stick with the MSD bench it will give you access to the plans area which is full of great
Jim
Thanks Guy! That is the plan Jim...I'll get the plans & if I can cut the top off, go in there & eliminate the angled board/rotating disc, bowls, ect. & basically copy the upper part of the plans within the box already built, that's what Im thinking I'll do. If that proves to be not logical, I'll step back & punt. Lorne