what determines when a sample is taken

Discussion on general flowbench design
Tony

Re: what determines when a sample is taken

Post by Tony »

I think it would be a good idea to keep the digital manometer quite electrically separate from anything else if possible, for electrical noise reasons.

If the serial data is being corrupted, you could try looping the cable between the DM and the host computer several times around a large high permeability ferrite toroid.

The material is important. Most toroids you will come across are more likely to be powdered iron, which is usually coated with a coloured coating. Powdered iron will not work in this application. Inverter grade ferrite may work, but is less than ideal bit will be better than nothing.
If this idea looks promising in solves the noise problem, we can try and source the right stuff

Ferrite will always be a dull grey/black in appearance as in the picture below. If its yellow, or red or brown or some other colour its definitely not ferrite. The light has reflected brightly off ferrite in the picture below, it looks almost silver, but it should look more a dull dark almost mat black in more normal light.

This will be far more effective than the usual clamp around type of ferrite sleeve you will see everywhere.
Nobody uses the toroid method because its big and ugly. The hole obviously needs to be large enough for the connector to pass through, and the wire cannot be wound around neatly. But its much more effective.

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

I don't do the coding stuff, although I understand it.
I have a mate who does it. We also have a full GPS based dash logger/track management system that we run for our event that has live vehicle mapping etc etc.
We're currently building a wifi magneto rev limiter for the Kohler V-twin engines we run in the race cars we build with students. In fact my mates 12 yo son developed it in 2 days. It communicates to a web server and I can change a vehicles rev limit using my phone or slow a car while on track if they drive dangerously.
We're always playing with something....lol

He doesn't use VB as he's a Linux type of guy. His brother was headhunted by Microsoft after finishing his PhD at Georgia Tech though.
tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

Just as a matter of interest, these are the cars we build. Based on the Palatov DP1, but built in high schools. We're building 35 cars at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tafeteacher

Post by tafeteacher »

We're also doing a steeper motor with planetary gear flow control. I'm lazy and would like to be able to flick a switch and it changes from intake to exhaust. It will also be arduino controlled.
I'm still trying to work out a system for the orifice. having two reversed orifices has me stumped at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.