PTS Swirl meter

Discussion on general flowbench design
Brucepts
Site Admin

PTS Swirl meter

Post by Brucepts »

Many years ago I made a simple swirl meter I could use for testing my single cylinder engines I was using on my garden tractor puller. Not something everyone needs for their testing but I always have someone ask about it.
87202014363.jpg
I stopped building engines and that project always sat in my brain and "swirled" around but never got back to the design stage for a flowbench mounted setup . . .

3d printing came to PTS last year and that has been a game changer for alot of designing of projects for all sorts of things, following Varnish's lead on his tumble meter sparked that "swirl" process in my brain again! I figured once I had a better handle on my 3d CAD/print skills* I would undertake the design again. I spent the last 2 weeks in my off hours trying to get a working design that would be simple to implement using an inexpensive DC motor, 3d print and a multimeter for the display. It will also hook up to the current 1100 Series PTS DM. (I've not looked for a different display right now but will in the very near future, Arduino or simple DC voltmeter)

It shows CW for + DCV and CCW for - DCV, the attached picture was the working prototype setup on my bench. I've refined the design a bit more since this picture was taken and will update this post in the future . . .
0517211050.png

* by far still do not understand the 3d CAD/Print part but I am learning :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Bakerlite

Re: PTS Swirl meter

Post by Bakerlite »

That looks good, I'm also keen to play with a 3D printer. Looks like a lot of fun to be had with one of those.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Think I have a complete prototype now . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce

Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

What 3D printer are you using?? Actually, how about a new section in the forum covering 3D printing and CAD design?
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Bakerlite wrote:What 3D printer are you using?? Actually, how about a new section in the forum covering 3D printing and CAD design?
I have an Creality Ender 5 Pro, the 3 or 5 are great starter printers! I upgraded to a MicroSwiss Direct drive Extruder and all metal hot end, there is quite a learning curve to 3d printing :D

I use TurboCAD for my CAD software, which is not the best for 3d printing but it works for my CAD requirements and I've been using it for many years now for my plans drawings. I use PrusaSlicr for my 3d slicer as it runs on my 32bit computer which is slower than molasses!

Next time I'm in the Forum admin I'll add a 3d/CAD/CAM section
Bruce

Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

Thanks.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Looks good Bruce,

I believe in our lifetime the parts industry (all, auto, appliance, etc) will evolve to where one goes to the parts store, and they 3d print and cure parts for you, reducing inventory. Not all but many parts could be done in this manner the sintered metal industry is prime for this stuff.

Rick
Bakerlite

Post by Bakerlite »

3D printing will do to the parts industry what CD burning did to the Music / Software industry..
huw

Post by huw »

Brucepts wrote:Think I have a complete prototype now . . .
Have you or anyone else progressed this concept? Interested in 4 valve and developing swirl rather than, or as well as tumble.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

I have a couple out now being tested by users
Bruce