Newbie saying Hi.

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
bob

Newbie saying Hi.

Post by bob »

Hi guys a newbie here from across the pond. I am thinking of building a flowbench and was steered onto this site via another forum.Not keen on having another gadget rolling about cluttering the workshop,I was hoping to mount the motors with all the noisy bits on an outside wall and pipe to an existing bench. Not sure of the implications of running the extra few meters of ductwork or whether to go with vac motors or get a single unit.
Meanwhile I will have a nose about on here an scavenge for some inspiration.

Bob
Tony

Re: Newbie saying Hi.

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum Bob.

Its been done before, a separate motor box connected by a duct to the settling chamber by a duct.
To change from suck to blow, just turn the motor box around.

Its going to require two units which will overall, be much larger than building it all into one very neat enclosure.

Be very careful with an inside/outside construction. The air needs to freely recirculate. The pressure generated can easily destroy a building.
Think about it, 28 inches is about 1Psi that is 144 Lbs per square foot. Literally many TONS of force could be generated that can easily burst your ceiling or a wall. If you duct the air directly back into your shop, there will be no noise advantage in placing the motors outside.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
bob

Post by bob »

Tony wrote:Welcome to the Forum Bob.
Its going to require two units which will overall, be much larger than building it all into one very neat enclosure.

Be very careful with an inside/outside construction. The air needs to freely recirculate. The pressure generated can easily destroy a building.
Thanks for the heads up on recirculating Tony, its not something I had thought about. The trouble is my shop is an old war department nissen hut and is fitted out with cupboards, the only space left for a flow bench is the bit I build engines in so I was hoping to get away with adding the flowbench stuff into the worktop.

This is the only place I could site the flowbench which would mean having the motors outside.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks for the heads up on recirculating Tony, its not something I had thought about.
Its something nobody ever thinks about, including myself, but when pointed out it becomes so obvious....

That is a really nice neat sop Bob, not sure what you can do except put it on wheels and work around it.
bob

Post by bob »

Tony wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on recirculating Tony, its not something I had thought about.
Its something nobody ever thinks about, including myself, but when pointed out it becomes so obvious....

That is a really nice neat sop Bob, not sure what you can do except put it on wheels and work around it.
Tony I have just put in a cheeky offer on a 13.2kw 600cfm/ 320mb Vac pump, if I get it the fun can begin :D

Bob
Tony

Post by Tony »

That sounds ideal Bob.
What is it, a roots blower ?
bob

Post by bob »

Cant get a picture to upload on here, is there a secret?
bob

Post by bob »

Its got 4" inlet/outlets

Tony

Post by Tony »

That looks like a ring blower.
They are incredibly noisy.
That cylindrical "sausage thing" at the bottom is a muffler.
But it will still going to wail like a set of bagpipes from Hell.
600CFM at 128 inches of water is pretty impressive though.

The figures look good, but the potential noise level of something that large is a bit of a worry.
bob

Post by bob »

Tony they call them side channel blowers over here, the noise isn't a problem because its going outside and I live on a farm a long way from other properties. I have only put in an offer at this stage, if that one doesn't happen I can get two smaller units. There are some smaller used units available with speed controllers already fitted, they may be a better option.

Bob