Calculate/Measure port velocity

Discussion on general flowbench design
Keystone3DI

Calculate/Measure port velocity

Post by Keystone3DI »

I've been watching a lot of David Vizard videos and while flow testing heads he really stresses...
Port velocity,
port energy,
port energy density

I've been searching on the forum to see if there is a spreadsheet that could possibly calculate these 3 parameters above.
Would someone happen to know how I could measure and calculate these values?
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: Calculate/Measure port velocity

Post by Brucepts »

Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Tony

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum Keystone.

What you are asking does not have a simple answer.
Everything is changing, the piston is moving, the valves are moving, the air velocity is continuously changing, the induction cross sectional area is not constant along its full length. There are also pressure waves and reflections, its not just simple linear flow.

All this is computationally solvable these days with very complex thermodynamic simulations, but its not something you can do yourself with pencil, paper, and a calculator.

As I suggested in the post linked to above ^^
Your best bet would be to get yourself a copy of the very affordable "Pipemax" software. That will give you all the required information including cross sectional areas, required flow, and recommended velocities for your specific engine.
All this has been proven to work very well, and comes highly recommended by many top professional engine tuners over the years.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Keystone3DI

Post by Keystone3DI »

Hi Tony. I have been hearing a lot about Pipemax. My only concern with a software is that I will get stuck into a subscription. Can I get pipemax for a 1 time fee?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Golly, its not that expensive, it comes complete, and all future software upgrades are free.

Messing with engines is an expensive game, and in retrospect you will find that Pipemax will be the best money you ever spent.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.