Good Read

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
JakesPorting

Good Read

Post by JakesPorting »

I found some of the things in this that were interesting.

http://www.harveycrane.com
1960FL

Re: Good Read

Post by 1960FL »

Jake, Where are yo in Maryland?

Rick
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

good tip!
Thanks

Hotz 8-)
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
JakesPorting

Post by JakesPorting »

Rick i'm just south of hagerstown
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

I am just east of Frederick HAHA Small World

You know that puts you about 1.5 hours from the PTS World Headquarters
JakesPorting

Post by JakesPorting »

Rick i thought it was about 2.5 hours from here. Good things to know . I'm off of route 65 about ten minutes south of interstate 70
Flash

Post by Flash »

JakesPorting wrote:I found some of the things in this that were interesting.

http://www.harveycrane.com
Did you read in there about how the 3/4 race cam all got started............Kinda funny.

It dates back to the early 1900 and the model T :lol:
Gordon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Sorry guys,
That was sapost to go directly to the article....but it didn't

http://www.harveycrane.com/founders.htm ... And_Grinds

I will try again but if it don't work here was the 3/4 race part of the article
"We asked Harvey if there was any one individual who he considered as “Father of the Racing Cam Business”. Without hesitation Harvey credits Ed Winfield as one of the pioneers of the racing industry, and the man who “invented” the racing cam business!

Ed Winfield was born in LaCanada, California in 1901.

“Winfield’s homemade cams were available in two basic profiles: Semi-Race and Full Race. After running both he decided he needed a grind that fit comfortably between the two profiles, for different track lengths and driver styles. He came up with a third master that had more duration and lift than the Semi Race grind, but less than the Full Race. He used the Full-Race master lobe for the intake lobe, and the third cam lobe master as an exhaust lobe. This mix and match of profiles he called a “Three-Quarter Race Cam”. Not only had Winfield created the first cam lobe profile for a specific racing application, he had unwittingly coined the first catchy racing cam marketing name for a business that would one day thrive on tricky product names that were sometimes pure nonsense. Ed said he didn’t realize it at the time, but that’s how it happened!, Harvey reflected.

Three-Quarter Race has since become a sort of generic term for a camshaft that works acceptably in everyday driving, officially organized and sanctioned drag racing events as well as impromptu street acceleration contests."
Gordon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Guess it was only funny to me :lol:

I have been on Harvey Crane's site, several times and read different article.....Lots of info I never knew.
Gordon
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

This is not the best place to put this but i did not feel like stating a new thread.

I bit the bullit the other day and purchased the racing secrets "Airflow Experts" series of audio cd's. Since i spend alot of time in the car i thought what better to do but listen to some other motor head airflow geeks talk about my favorite subject "Cylinder Heads". I have to say the audio is a little cheesy Phone interview so far, but once you get used to listening to it the information has been great so far and i know i will listen to them over and over trying to get all the secrets i can. I think they would best be suited to listen over head phones, maybe i will sleep with it playing in a loop. :D

Anyone else buy any of the other online cd's Etc. and have any input?

Rick