Public Alerts and Warnings!

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
jfholm

Public Alerts and Warnings!

Post by jfholm »

I never thought about this but it scares the heck out of me! Watch this and understand that with smart phones and some cameras now they can "geo" tag or put gps coordinate information tags with the photos they take. I thought this was cool until I see how it is being used. SCARY!
John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vARzvW ... ata_player
Flash

Re: Public Alerts and Warnings!

Post by Flash »

Wow!!!!
Good thing i don't have one :o
Gordon
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

As I am aware all you need to do is turn off GPS picture tagging.

I do not run GPS on my phone unless I am using it for GPS driving directions. GPS kills the battery life.

The other thing I find amazing is the amount of stupid people who make live posts from their smart phone to places like FaceBook when they go somewhere like the mall, store, restaurant or bar etc . . . Hello robbers I'm not home right now!!!
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Flash

Post by Flash »

Don't all cell Phones have gps?
Isn't it part of the the 911 system?

My phone is vary basic and has no gps mapping on it.
But there is a symbol on my phone that is gps tracking, for 911................

luckily all my pictures are from a digital camera, that are on the internet.
Gordon
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

If you take a pic with your smart phone camera it will also add the GPS data to the picture if you have it setup to do that. Probably comes default config that way so you have to un-click the box so it does not do that.

Most normal people probably have no clue hence the reason they have a warning on a news broadcast to help those who can not help themselves :lol:
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

I just called AT&T and had all data turned off on my phone. It was not a smart phone but still had data and texting. I would get those darned "junk" texts and get charged 20 cents a piece. What a scam!

John
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Flash,
WARNING! I think you have a virus. I just got an email from you to my personal account and all it had was a link. When I clicked on the link a major attack was launched on my computer. I have a current copy of Norton so it was immediately stopped. I deleted the email. You may want to go to www.eset.com/onlinescan and click on the blue button labeled "run ESET online scanner" It will install a program and scan and clean your computer. It will not stay resident so you need to make sure you have a current up to date antivirus program. This type of virus/malware is rampant now.

John
Flash

Post by Flash »

jfholm wrote:Flash,
WARNING! I think you have a virus. I just got an email from you to my personal account and all it had was a link. When I clicked on the link a major attack was launched on my computer. I have a current copy of Norton so it was immediately stopped. I deleted the email. You may want to go to http://www.eset.com/onlinescan and click on the blue button labeled "run ESET online scanner" It will install a program and scan and clean your computer. It will not stay resident so you need to make sure you have a current up to date antivirus program. This type of virus/malware is rampant now.

John
Yes i have a antivirus program but it not my computer thats got the problem.
Some one has got into my e-mail count and sent that virous to every one on my e-mail list Grrrrrrrrr

doing a full scan now just to be on the safe side!
I know this becouse i got a lot of bad e-mail noittes that the message couldn't be sent aka the bad e mail address in my e-mail address book.
I also had one from me, that i open and my anitviruse said it bock it.

Sorry to all of you that i have your e-mail adress,..........time to change my passward again. Grrrrrrr :evil:
Gordon
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

You may also have a Bot on your computer and they can be really nasty to get rid of. Here is an article that explains a little about bots http://www.wizcrafts.net/blogs/2008/12/ ... nd_re.html

John
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Flash,

Be careful the best worm/bot/Trojan scanner i have found is from a site called Bleepingcomputer and is call ComboFix it is not for the faint of heart but i have had great luck with some very nasty infections. If you use webmail you may have a hack problem if you use Outlook, Outlook Express or one of the other mail clients the problem is definitely on your PC.

Rick