Sometimes we "DO" get it right!

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
jfholm

Re: Sometimes we "DO" get it right!

Post by jfholm »

this was too cool not to share. German engineering at it's best.

blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

You aint kidding John. I really dig how they addressed the electric issue.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Since the forum has been a little quiet let us listen to some good music. This is probably my favorite song!

John

slracer

Post by slracer »

John, Are you an "IZ" fan? My wife has about 6 of his CD's! My fav is "Hawaiian Superman".

Just a heads-up: Only 15 days until Salt Fever strikes! Are you going to be able to get out this year? I'm inspecting again, too much time working on 2 houses so I can live in one and sell the other. Now, if I could just SELL the other! I am making some (very little but some) progress on the new bike but expect to see a couple of "variants" of what I had inspected last year. They have a problem as they don't know the secret to making it all work (but neither do I) LOL!! :lol: -- Doug
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Doug,
I love IZ and it is too bad he died. I also love Hawaiian Superman also.

I have used up all my vacation going to doctors this year, but if you wanted I could meet you someplace on a weekend and have lunch or dinner. I have been working from 9 am to 7:30 pm Mon - Fri - Lifestyle has been cramped.

Let me know where you are going to be and we will try to meet again.

John

btw 448 days to retirement but who's counting :lol:
slracer

Post by slracer »

John, I'll be driving up from the new home in the Phoenix area and that misses SLC so no chance on the "entrance". Our work schedule on the weekend, and everyday is a weekend day when you are retired (except the first day of racing as there are no recrod qualifiers yet) looks like:
1. Arrive on the salt at 6:00AM and proceed to impound
2. Walk around impound and impress rookies (the vets know better) by looking important (see picture)
3. When the "Impoundees" have left for the starting line and record runs, grab some breakfast at the RED FLAME (these guys and gals are real lifesavers out here!)
4. When record return vehicles begin to return to impound, check them in, record their return time, and make a preliminary inspection. For GAS class vehicles, get a fuel sample.
5. Begin record certification inspection for the various frame classes (BTW, it's now about 8:30AM and there are upwards of 20 bikes in impound the first morning of record runs).
6. Now the fun starts! Each record setting bike has to get the motor measured and (hopefully) sealed. No record is certified without a measurement (or a previously sealed motor with the seal still intact and less than 365 days old). Last year on Sun AM (racing started on Sat and first record runs were Sun), there were about 26 bikes there (almost none sealed as the racers like to work on them before racing them). It was 4PM when I took my "lunch" break (and the Red Flame caterers closed at 3:30).
7. While we are measuring and sealing motors more bikes appear in impound having qualified for a record run tomorrow. The run time & impound time are recorded and the record run paperwork is started. Competitors have 1 hour to return to impound after their qualifying run (the actual time they passed through the speed trap). They have 4 hours to work on their vehicles then it's "Put down your tools and back away from the vehicle!" (Looking important again!) The last vehicle leaves the start line about 6:30PM so we stay in impound until 7:30PM.
8. Drive back to town, clean up, eat dinner, go to bed (after being sure the 5:00AM wakeup call is scheduled)
9. Start over at step 1

There are advantages: last year one of the competitors (and a member of the group from France) asked if he could paint me. I agreed after I was sure he wasn't referring to a tar and feather paint job. I later found out he is an art professor in Paris. The watercolor attached is the "sketch" he did before he was going to start on the oil! My wife does watercolor so we asked for the watercolor instead of an oil. The group publishes a "travelog" of their trip every year (2012 will be the 6th year) and the painting is part of the book. He also wrote such a fine description that I may never live up to it! Yeah, I love Bonneville! But it's the people I will always remember! -- Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

With the acquisition of a "new" to us motorhome a month ago this trip might be on my list of things to do next year!

My old one was not capable of cross country treks but the "new" one would do it! Think I'll hatch my plan with the right seat navigator and see if she would be in on a trip out west :mrgreen:

She went with me to a GrandAm race last month at Watkins Glen after telling her Patrick Dempsey would be there . . . she was so bold as to get her pic taken with him after she caught him coming back from a potty break to his paddock area. Humm, who could I tell her would be in the Salt???

Nice pic Doug!!
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
tweaks

Post by tweaks »

Bruce ,
you could get her to watch World Fastest Indian and try telling her that "Bert " Anthony Hopkins might be there.

Cheers

Lynds
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Great picture Doug!

Also, Bruce, if you can find a copy of "Boys of Bonneville" is really a good documentary on Ab Jenkins and the Mormon Meteor who still owns records on the salt. btw it is narrated by none other than Patrick Dempsey as the voice of Ab Jenkins.

http://www.amazon.com/Boys-of-Bonnevill ... bonneville

John
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Nothing more right than a darn good dog. They have fun just like us

John