enough to make a man crazy

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
blaktopr

enough to make a man crazy

Post by blaktopr »

Here are some pics of what I am dealing with AGAIN
My 03 Ram motor spun a bearing. I got a rebuilt motor from a friend of a friend for 1800 with a 1 year warranty. 3000 miles later, I have to take it back out to throw it at the guy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
coulterracn

Re: enough to make a man crazy

Post by coulterracn »

How many rockers jumped off? That's some nasty marks on the camshaft. Looks like someone took a chisel to it.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
JakesPorting

Post by JakesPorting »

When i used to work for a used car dealer and repair shop the owners son had
a turbo t-bird that would kick a rocker off every now and then.

The fix was to take hammer and smack it back in place . That car ran forever it seemed. :P
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

4 rockers. All intakes on the driver's side. The valves are all hung open. #1 is like .150 or so. They wont close. I tried to close #1 with a screwdriver. Seems like they must be bent. But the motor is in time, chain did not jump. The rockers must have banged around a little to mark things up. I allmost want to fix it myself because I dont trust anyone. Just not sure how compensation would happen. One I get this motor back out I will call to get some more answers. Plus, when I went to do my first oil change, I couldn't get the drain plug off. I had to drop the pan some and cut/weld/epoxy but still leaked. Going to get them to supply new pan to me.
Whats more aggravating is when talking to the guy I got it from and the guy who rebuilt it, they give me dumb answers to fix like its not their problem. (Just put rockers back in with new lifters and get the oil pressure up) I have to tell them over and over that I built race motors that lasted seasons. A street motor (stock) should last a llllooooonnnngggg time.

Supposedly the heads were only disassembled cleaned and reassembled. How the four valves got stuck in the guides or bent when in time is odd. BUT, listen to this. That side of the motor had 1 other issue when I first went to start it. The new plugs had the strap peened over closing the gap to zero. I put the plugs in. Started it, ran sluggish. Took them out and regapped them. Now I wonder if the two are connected. WTF could have been in there???

If I redo the heads, I may be tempted to give them a little warmup. Better VJ. The port shape seems pretty current. High entrance, long SSR, coming straight down to the top of the valve. Maybe I will do a wet test. :D
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

hello
guides are new? check material used depending on the league expand
pipeline oil seals removed for cleaning, because the chemical may have led material and reduced the pressure!
hydraulic tappets emptying in high rpm
accent of the deep lower pressure valve springs
Ideia ;)
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

I don't know Hotz. As far as I know the guy who rebuilt this engine didn't change anything to new. Only a disassemble, clean and reassemble. I have yet to get the motor removed to throw it through the guy's window.
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

blaktopr wrote:I don't know Hotz. As far as I know the guy who rebuilt this engine didn't change anything to new. Only a disassemble, clean and reassemble. I have yet to get the motor removed to throw it through the guy's window.
ok Chris
good luck with new assembly
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
Flash

Post by Flash »

4 rockers. All intakes on the driver's side. The valves are all hung open. #1 is like .150 or so. They wont close. I tried to close #1 with a screwdriver. Seems like they must be bent. But the motor is in time, chain did not jump.
I have been looking and looking at them pic,s and just couldn't come up with a idea as to why it happened..........................

Well.........I have come up with a theory,....that almost hold water :?

all the intakes lifters are fed by a separate oil galley then the exhaust right?

What if a oil galley machining hole plug fell out...................lifters would bleed down and start to jump all over the place. Eventually wedging the valve open so the piston could bend/brake valve/piston.

Have you had the codes read? Is there a low oil pressure code?

Were they fresh plugs or the plugs that came with the eng? Maybe the ground strap was smashed when they removed for..........Cleaning????

Or maybe the eng was "used" and never taken apart! Just cleaned up to look rebuild.

I have seen carbon come loose and smash a ground strap.

we all know what happens to a head that's been sitting around for a long time, that was full of carbon.............the carbon falls of the head in one piece as if it was a mold........

OK I'm really babalying now.

If the oil pressure was there, at the point of failure, why didn't it shoot the hyd lifter out of its bores?................

This is the only thing that make any sense, as to why all intake on one side and NO other, were affected!

This, how ever, doesn't explain the spark plug electrode smashed. :?:
Gordon