THE DREAM OF A 1/8 MILE RACE TRACK

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
Flash

THE DREAM OF A 1/8 MILE RACE TRACK

Post by Flash »

7 years a go, i joined a no profit origination called "Uinta County Motor Sports Association, for the soul purpose of trying to get a drag strip started in Evanston Wy.
6 years a go we got a lease on this old abandon air strip, and it look like this!

By the end of that year we were able to hold are first race with a timing system design for grass drag(snowmobiles) would take us a full day to string out the wire and get all the censor to see each other, but it worked!!!

By the 2nt year it look like this.

the tar was vary vary course, drag slick were actually a disadvantage. and high powered vehicles just couldn't get any traction at the starting line!

The 3 year alowed us to put 2 coat of this water based tar on the starting like(like what you would see being put down or over a old parking lot.

By the 4 year we had several coat of this stuff on the starting line and it was getting vary smooth!!! we started buy VHT and dressing the starting line.(The big boys were starting knock down there E.T do to much better 60 foot times.

By the 5th year we had re wired the timing system and now had the refector in the middle.(we had many close calls and one crushed finish line sensor, before we decide it was time to make a change) the wire's were still above ground but run thru pvc pipe along the outer side of the track, and connected then thru tool boxes to keep the weather out!
We also got a storage container for all of our equipment. Built a tower on top of it, for the timing equipment. we were able to coat the full 1/8 mile track with this water base tar.
Once again really starting to look like a real race track!
We were coating the track with more VHT and the racer were loving it.
We even had a couple people say the starting like traction was better then RMR(race track in SLC UT) this of course caused are chest to heave and are heads to swell :D

This year thing are starting out grate, we had a guy that bought a Rubber draggier that goes behind a tractor(small unit, but still a lot of money for it)
we start experimenting with the rubber draggier and VHT, state to find a grate combo the is allowing some of the faster cars to actully pack there front tires.
this draws fast car out to the races, attraciting more spectators(not just the racer friends ;) )

Our chest are full and are heads are swelled because we are so GRATE! :roll: ...........well you know what happens next,.....right?

Well the VHT bitt DEEP in to the water base tar, the rubber draggier grabbed a hold of the VHT........But the original tar couldn't hold on.
The starting line was a mess, our smooth rubbery starting line was full of holes but it was the day of the race and we just had to deal with it.
By the end of the day the first 60 feet in both lane look like a bomb had went off on the staring line.
You can't see it in this pic but it the only on i have of it.

By the end of the day we had many people complain of the materiel fling under there car, like they were driving on a dirt road.
well, we can't afford to repave it, but if we don't, we loose all the nice looking cars and all the fast one.
If this happen the track will die. after 5 year it just starting to pay for it's self. If it started loosing money again.....well the plug would be pulled................

we once again, we have some grate GRATE people in this community. some that called in favors for equipment others that donate.

we were able to rent a roto mill to grind out 2" of the old tar, 180 feet lone 12 feet wide(maybe it was wider then that) in both lanes.

One day of grinding and 2 days of cleaning and prepping. it looked like this!

And yet another construction owner step up to the plate and gave us a grate discount on the tar work.

Next month we will have two races. The first one is the veterans (all profit go's to them.
and then our regular September race.
this will be our last race of the season.

The first 2 year there was only 2 of us that dreamed, and made it happen.
The past 3 year i have been far from any key to the success of this track.
Many have step up to the plate and made it, what is today.

I doubt any one of them will read what i have wrote today, BUT MY HATE IS OFF TO THEM ALL!!!!!
Gordon
coulterracn

Re: THE DREAM OF A 1/8 MILE RACE TRACK

Post by coulterracn »

Awesome, makes me happy to see a community pull together and support a worthwhile cause.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
Flash

Post by Flash »

Thanks Ray.

Took my wife out to see the new improvements today.
Gordon
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Gordon,
I'll start telling my SLC buddies and see if we can get some people up there. Let me know directions on how to get there. Do the timers give mph also?

John
Flash

Post by Flash »

Thanks John.

Track open up, no later then 9:00 am
Racing starts at 11:00 am
And brackets start at around 3:00(usually only one bracket.
No trophy's, no money. Just bragging rights, posted on our site.

This month, we have back to back Saturday races.
Sep 10
sep 17

If weather hold out there will be one the 3d Saturday of Oct.......But Mother Nature has not been that kind to us yet!

The weather is usually 8-10* cooler then in Utah. ;)

I will pm you some more detail when i get a minute.
Gordon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Sorry John, didn't answer you question :oops:
Do the timers give mph also?
Yes, reaction time(.500 is perfict) 60 feet, and mph.(1/8 mile track)

here is our internet side

http://hypoxiadragway.com/

I will try and make up some better direction tonight.
Gordon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Or new track surface work out much better the even we had hoped for!
the top sled picked up .20 in the 60 foot, and the record et dropped from a 4.61 to a 4.50.

and my Cuda........well, don't have enough power to have traction issues :lol:
Gordon
blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

Flash wrote: and my Cuda........well, don't have enough power to have traction issues :lol:
Wellll What did it run??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Vids??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

C,mon Flash! :D
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

I will come up there next season to run something even if it is my Mazda! I just need to find and oxygen mask first ;) That is high! Didn't you say 6100' altitude or so? I can just see the corrected altitude now, Altitude corrected to 15,000 feet :lol: Salt Lake gets bad sometimes. I have seen it at almost 8000 feet sometimes even though we are only actually 4300 ft.

Gordon Have you compared your 660' times from Salt Lake with your drag strip there? I think I would have more fun at your strip. Here at Rocky Mountain you pay $35 bucks and might get in 3 or 4 runs. I really like your setup!

John
Flash

Post by Flash »

blaktopr wrote:
Flash wrote: and my Cuda........well, don't have enough power to have traction issues :lol:
Wellll What did it run??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Vids??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

C,mon Flash! :D
Sorry No videos.....would need a video camera first :D
Gordon