The Basics

Discussion on general flowbench design
Tony

Re: The Basics

Post by Tony »

Not doing much of anything with cylinder heads at the moment.

My main contribution to the Forum comes from providing the designs for the various Flow Bench electronics available to Forum members through Bruce.

I suppose you could say I am interested in flow bench technology, and helping other Forum members to build their own benches.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
racehead

Post by racehead »

Professor Tony is an electronic Engineer and a very clever person. He has helped me with my dificulties. He comes here in the forum as a gearhead.
Blocker

Post by Blocker »

OK so I read flow bench 101 and it's great.

How do I no the bench calibration is spot on?

Does the inclined manometer read correct when you blow threw the bench to test a ex port?

Sorry guys but before I build it I need to understand it.
Tony

Post by Tony »

That depends what you consider spot on.

But the "pass around" calibration plates supplied by Bruce have proven time and time again that Forum members can build flow benches at home, that are at least as accurate as the high dollar commercial flow benches.

If you want better than 1% to 3% absolute accuracy, you are talking serious money to get official certification, and regular calibration from an official government New Zealand calibration laboratory.

Absolute accuracy is not really all that important.
Repeatability is the very first number one priority, and you will get that by firstly understanding exactly how your bench works, and buy building a well proven bench design.

In the blow through direction it will read correctly, provided the same air, at the same temperature, flows through both the calibration orifice and the test piece.
Blocker

Post by Blocker »

Thanks Tony you are very wise with the way of the flow bench. I have spyed thoes plates on the forum now I get what they are for.
1-3% is great. repeatability is better.

Because we have 230/240 volt sockets here and I guess that the PTS bench is made with 110V in mind
What would be your advice with motors for the bench? I work with car heads and would like to pull 28"
SSR

Post by SSR »

The motor voltage isn't an issue as you will probably use vacuum cleaner motors, commonly used ones are from Ametek or Lighthouse.
Both available in the lower or higher voltage.
Hello stalker!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Blocker wrote:
Because we have 230/240 volt sockets here and I guess that the PTS bench is made with 110V in mind
What would be your advice with motors for the bench? I work with car heads and would like to pull 28"
These flow benches have now been successfully built all over the world, and you just need to source vacuum motors for 240v which will definitely not be a problem.

The flow bench electronics runs from a 15v dc plug pack, and that can be sourced locally in the country you live in, (absolutely anywhere !!) to suit the local mains supply voltage, mains frequency, and local wall outlet socket shape.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

OK so what flow bench do you have?? SF600 seam to be the balls as far as a top shelf bench goes.

Blocker, First off not so true as the PTS bench is the tits :D and was built with full electronics for 1/4 the cost of base edition of an sf600 and can flow 600+ cfm at 28.

Voltage requirements’ are dictated by motors used and speed controller used. Most of us here in the states that are building a bench with 4 to 8 ++ motors have to run on 220/240VAC. Do a little more reading and homework on the forum and you will see there is no better way to go unless you have a pocket full of cash and are in a big hurry.

Welcome aboard.

Rick