SF Sizes

Orifice Style bench discussions
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: SF Sizes

Post by Brucepts »

Let me also add you can compare each channel on the PTS DM to each other, well you will be able to in version 1.05 when it is released. I am testing a beta and it allows me to put each channel into water gage mode for trouble shooting.

Early versions allow channel 1-3 to be set for water gage mode so they can be compared.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

To try and add to this conversation, and I hope I do not muddy it, I will tell you what I ran into.

My water manometer had a 12" rise on it so I figured that was my Delta P. Wrong! I did set the Delta P in my Black Box to 12" but when I read it in the software it was showing me a scale percentage of 69% when flowing 150 cfm. (My internal orifice was a 2.144" diameter square edged that I made and not nearly as nice as Bruce's) The actual inclined manometer was reading 60%. So that would prove to be a Delta P right about 16" H2O. I figured my CD to be around .625 as it is a square edged orifice and they seem to have a little higher CD.

I may have to buy a DM from Bruce as earlier this spring when I had my flood the black box fell off the flow bench into the water and I have not tested it since.

John
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Brucepts wrote:So each DM has a slightly different scale length on the configuration, so they might show a different Cd once the bench is finally calibrated, tweaking the channel calibration is not a good thing so the Cd is there fore changed. You want the scale to be linear and if you go playing around with that calibration factor you are not going to have a linear scale.
Bruce,
What you have done is actually proof to what I have heard a few times. I read someplace, but I cannot remember where at this time, that as the diameter of the orifice increases the CD does get larger. Even if they are all the same as in a sharp edged orifice. A 1" diameter may only have a .56 CD yet a 4" may have a .62 or so. It seems to just be the nature of orifices. So from what I gather reading what you put here is that you are adjusting the CD of the orifice to get your readings which would be the correct way to do it. Am I thinking correctly here?

John
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Correct the Cd is just a number the way I see it, on a PTS build the Cd works out to most time be 0.595 or close to that depending on the build. It's just the number you need to calibrate the flowbench. The scale length within Flowsoft works out to be around 16.53" but the sensor is rated 16" but to make everything linear the calibration factor works the scale out to be 16.35".

If you want to your plate to read something other than 0.595 you can cheat and play with the orifice diameter it really does not matter it's going to read linear anyways, don't get caught up in the "numbers" look at the results!

By Chad testing each flowbench using the same DM he was able to show the difference between the flowbenches as he used the same scale on each machine.

I wish I had the money to buy a flowbench from a few other vendors and a place to test them, would be interesting to share the results! Again, I personally do not care (would be good marketing) as I know my results, sometimes I have doubting moments on my results and think "oh my how many of these are out there and are they really correct"? and Rick gets a call and a 1-1/2 to 2 hour call ensues though!! He calms me down and all is right with the PTS Flowbench world again . . . .

As a side note I still find it funny that anyone who has been to the PTS World Headquarters and seen what I am working with and knows the quality I build and how well it all works that here I am on the world stage being compared to the "Industry Leader". I just personally find that amusing!!!!!

I can not take the credit for that though as I have had more help than can be imagined from Tony and Rick on the digital products! Without their help and my prodding none of this would have happened!!!
Bruce

Chad Speier

Post by Chad Speier »

Here are my thoughts on this. Now my biggest issue is going to be which machine to put my FP on and which to put my new DM on! :D I'm going to use my PTS bench for port development and I "know" what I'm seeing and how it compares. That bench is MUCH easier to navigate, and simply awesome! I'm going to use my SF600 for walk in flowing and so I can put this at the bottom of my advertised flow sheets... *"Flowed on a SF600: calibrated with PTS plates" How's that shit!

Now the SF bench. I can't even get the sliding manometer scale high enough to read the correct cfm for the calibration plates. What is this telling me?? Also in SF defense, I visited with them about a manual. The tech guy made it PERFECTLY clear that the plate that comes with the machine is NOT a calibration plate but rather a spot check plate to see if your bench is within the 1% of all SF benches.. He did go on to tell me that they have a set of 6 calibration plates for sale or RENT. So... why doesn't the machine come with a plate? I don't get that.

So, Bruce maybe there is a business opportunity for you. I know in business you must cater to everyone. Maybe you need to machine a set of plates, buy a nice fancy padded wood box, build a DM that is sized for the SF, put together a kit with instructions, and RENT it to SF customers. Let them hook it up, calibrate, and see with their own eyes!!!!!!!! Maybe keep a file so they can compare with others. It's NOT perfect World, but it's better than what has taken place! WE have done a great job shedding light on this subject, maybe it's time to make the next step! You know me, I'll help you ALL I can!!
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Chad,

Please don't take this wrong but is the SF machine LEVEL ? This has an effect on the Incline...

BTW Please find out just how much the SF calibrations plates are to buy and PM me, i might be willing to purchase these for Bruce so that we have a standard to compare all work to.

You thoughts?

Rick

PS. Who the F%^& sells a flow bench (for that kind of money) without some empirical calibration plate?????? HELLO!
Chad Speier

Post by Chad Speier »

1960FL wrote:Chad,

Please don't take this wrong but is the SF machine LEVEL ? This has an effect on the Incline...

BTW Please find out just how much the SF calibrations plates are to buy and PM me, i might be willing to purchase these for Bruce so that we have a standard to compare all work to.

You thoughts?

Rick

PS. Who the F%^& sells a flow bench (for that kind of money) without some empirical calibration plate?????? HELLO!
It was a pain, but it's level. However, I will recheck it since it might have settled.

You don't want to do that. Even though I know you REALLY like Bruce, the set is $800.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Chad Speier wrote: You don't want to do that. Even though I know you REALLY like Bruce, the set is $800.
HOLY CRAP are they gold plated??? Maybe they are stainless steel??

I know mine do not look all pretty but, they do work quite well for what $30 a piece?
Bruce

blaktopr

Post by blaktopr »

Brucepts wrote:
Chad Speier wrote: You don't want to do that. Even though I know you REALLY like Bruce, the set is $800.

I know mine do not look all pretty but, they do work quite well for what $30 a piece?
Thats the PTS site price. SF owners can pay you 600.00 for a set. :D
Chris Sikorski
Chris@wetflowtech.com
Totallywirednow.com
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Brucepts wrote:

I thought they were kinda pretty ;)

John