Old Stuff! Makes you think?

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
1960FL

Old Stuff! Makes you think?

Post by 1960FL »

So i was cleaning out a book shelf in the shop so i could move it to make room for my newly finished PTS Bench, I was gong through old College books and lab manuals etc. After 25 years i thought it was time some of this stuff could go. But in one of my computer science books i found this and it made me laugh the beginnings of FlowSoft, Version .0000000001

Makes you think Ha! In most parts of the world outside the US, old is hundreds if not a thousand years old, But this, 25 years; look from where we came most people today would have no idea what it is?

Could you imagine making a Post on flowbenchtech with a bunch of these? LOL!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivanhoew

Re: Old Stuff! Makes you think?

Post by ivanhoew »

oh thanks a bunch rick!!! lol.

you have now time warped me back to god knows when , when i was a very young assistant scientific officer at the hydraulics reasearch establishment in wallingford england .

i used to have to stick a foot deep stack of these into a chattering box the size of a small room every now and again .

fortunately i was also designing and building my first turbo charged bike conversion at the time(which i still have ) ,so that kept me from going totally dribbling mental at the boredom of it all.
medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

ivanhoew wrote:so that kept me from going totally dribbling mental at the boredom of it all.
Somehow . . . naw better not say it . . . :lol: :lol:
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
86rocco

Post by 86rocco »

When I saw that card, I immediately thought of an old Simpsons episode, "Much Apu about nothing"

Apu: Nine glorious years later, I completed my phd thesis. Two hundred thousand precisely ordered punch cards comprising the world's very first tic-tac-toe program.....
Bart: Hey, what's this one for?
whats this one for.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

86Rocco now that is Funny....

So here goes this is round two of my clean out good thing this did not make it to the recycle bin. Many of you older gents may remember these day’s! I was going to scan and post the whole book but then in a quick Google search I see there is still quite a due about this topic and you can buy a copy used on Amazon for between $100 and $200 US. LOL Go Figure.

So if you want all the info on the 200MPG Pogue Carburetor it’s gonna cost you. :mrgreen:

Edit

Aw Heck you can get it free here http://www.injusticexposed.org/sitebuil ... ecrets.pdf I thought i was going to be rich... :oops:
Dan_DiM

Post by Dan_DiM »

that book appears to be a great source of mis-information. i just scrolled through and he suggests that a conventional sedan engine runs at 49:1 fuel mixture at 55mph by multiplying air density and the displacement and rpm divided by 2. though that may be true of a diesel he is ignoring the 20inhg (almost 10psi) depression or so and displacement of the egr system and questionable ve, all as if detroit engineers didn't know how to calculate fuel mixture on a dyno or carburetor test stand. though there may be something to preheated and super vaporized fuel to help lean burn it would never pass the epa for hydrocarbon or nitrous oxide emissions.

the 70's and 80's were big on super carburators and there is a grain of truth but fully vaporized and/or heated fuel takes up so much volume in the intake you lose a ton of performance and the increase in mileage is often exagerated. most of the designs have maintenance issues and/or are cost prohibative and are the real reasons detroit never produced anything to that effect. plus i'd imagine it makes the engine more easy to get vapor locked.

though im sure we all know this. after all the forum is not full of idiots, i guess i couldn't help but comment on it. if anyone plans on building one of these i wouldn't expect better than 15% increase in mileage and probably the same loss in performance but you'll be better off with a small diesel in an equally small car, add 75lbs of boost and it'll go pretty fast too.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Dan it just made me smile when i found it in my stack of old books and papers, a collage professor gave that to me to study and poke holes, I think we even tested the old Cow Magnet thing on the fuel line :D

But then again in these day's of $5 gas it still burns my ass when i see what the mileage advertisements are for new vehicles, it can be done when you think the average IC is only 13% efficient when it comes to thermal energy use.

Rick
Dan_DiM

Post by Dan_DiM »

i know there is a ton of room for improvements and some designs did show some promise, after all a gas burns better than a liquid.

i think when battery tech becomes environmentally friendly and lighter then future cars will depend on plug in hybrids that may use a gas turbine or diesel for the generator. the electrics will overcome the issues with jet technology if they go in that direction but it will still be capable of being refueled for long distances, or that's how i would do it anyway. right now the nickel metal hydride batteries are what kills hybrids. it's not good for the environment! the nickel mining for the batteries releases tons of carbon. maybe zinc-air batteries will change that. plug in hybrids make sense, and i dont want to hear anything about coal. the efficiency of a power plant is so much greater than in internal combustion engine i can't see it being worse especially when it get supplemented by nuclear, wind, hydro, geothermal and solar. the biggest advantage of the hybrids like the volt (no transmission, the engine is just a generator) i think is that you could potentially build the engine as a steady state generator and run it in a condition that offers maximum efficiency in charging, it could simply be turned on/off when the battery condition was right and all the regulation of speed would be handled with the motor controller, and regenerative breaking could be even better with bigger batteries than current hybrids. no part throttle condition, compression braking, engines running for the sake of warm up and to stay running for power on demand. most of the wasteful conditions could be done away with and power supplemented by the grid in exchange for somewhat reduced efficiency in getting power from the flywheel to the tire but a well engineered generator and motors and modern batteries can minimize the losses.

better mileage is certainly possible but it wont come from a bastard child contraption you stick under or in place of your carburator on your 30yo vehicle. at best you will rival a large modern sedan with less performance.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

at the end of that book it mentions the Fish Carb - I actually bought one and sold it to a guy who really wanted it badly. ;-) He put it on a big old Lincoln Continental. Little old one barrel. He was sure he was going to get 100 mpg out of that big old V8. The darn carb iced up so bad it would not run. :lol:

John