Valve and seat grinding equipment

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
quartermaster

Valve and seat grinding equipment

Post by quartermaster »

Hi Guys I didn't really know where to post this question so here it is. After you have a flow bench the next logical piece of equipment is a valve and seat grinder/cutter. I see lots of used stuff for sale but what is good or better than the others? Keep in mind this would be for personal hobby work and not for a modern machine shop. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks Quartermaster
jfholm

Re: Valve and seat grinding equipment

Post by jfholm »

I am an old auto machinist. My preference was for Souix equipment. Qwikway was also good. I also used Nuway cutters. Cutters are very successful if machine driven. If trying to use cutters by hand there can be some dips in the seat as your pressures on the tool are hard to keep consistent.

I would look for a good used set of stone holders and driver. Check the top part of the pilots for taper and wear. This is the part that keeps thee stone holders true. If there is too much wear or taper then you just cannot do a good seat. Also make sure the bearings are not loose and worn out. Some stone holders are rebuildable, others are not.

Make sure you can still buy parts for what you pick up. It does no good to have a seat grinder if you can't buy stones. Make sure you also get a good stone sharpener with a good diamond, or at least one you can buy a diamond for.

If you have any other questions just ask. You do not want to get stuck with junk.

John
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

I found this link for a local guy here in Salt Lake City. This is a new unit. Pictures are horrible and he does not give a great description of what you get. This is a starting point to help you see what kind of a deal you are getting when you do buy.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... =2&search=
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

here is a link for the valve facer machine. This one looks to be a pretty good deal.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... 10&search=
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

here is one I fouind on ebay today. I am not sure these stone holders are rebuildable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-DECKER-AU ... 67&vxp=mtr

Just do a search using vavle seat grinder, I did automotive valve seat grinder and if you do just valve seat grinder a lot more show. Good luck!

John
coulterracn

Post by coulterracn »

I use the sioux style setup because my local machine shop keeps a large selection of stones in stock plus they can get anything I need from http://www.silver-seal.com/ when they order shop supplies it save me shipping cost plus I get their discount.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
hdwgfx

Post by hdwgfx »

I have Black and Decker valve and seat machines I bought new in @1980 works good can do precision work once you know how... parts are available via goodson.com among other automotive machine supply companies. Is Sioux better, yes...
Thanks,
david
Faith/Desire/Tenacity NOTW
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Hi, I also have an old souix unit that I bought new in 1971. Still runs out very well. Yes, you can buy many replacement items, stones, holders, pilots, diamond refacers and much more from Goodson company in Minnesota. Excellent company with good customer service and same or one day shipping. No, I don't work for them, He He. I always check the runout on the valve stem in the chuck on the valve refacer before grinding, with a dial indicator. Something you may want to consider when purchasing IF POSSIBLE! Many of them are not very accurate and you don't want valve faces that are not true. I try to maintain one half thousanth ( .0005 ) runout if possible. Regarding the seat stones, don't mix the stones on different holders and always face the outside diameter of new stones to true them up so they are spinning true when grinding. All these little things are very important for a good leak free product. I hope this can help and good luck! Jim
quartermaster

Post by quartermaster »

Hi Guy Thanks for all the replies. I have another question. I am looking at a complete Sioux valve and seat grinding setup, stone truing fixtures included. The model number is 6024. My question is what is the difference between the 6024 and what seems to be the more common 645? I tried looking on the web but could find very little information. Thanks Quartermaster
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Hi again. Don't know about that model. Mine is a 645 if I remember right. I'll look. I know they did make some newer models. Just curious what they are asking for this setup? Jim