What Is A Good Computer To

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
Malvin

What Is A Good Computer To

Post by Malvin »

Hi Guys
What is a good desktop computer to buy in the past week
I have lost 2 computers & this one I am using has of last night
went to a blue screen they say blue screen is death for a computer
I did take picture of it can post picture of the screen if any of you
would like to see it
jfholm

Re: What Is A Good Computer To

Post by jfholm »

Malvin,
I used to build all of my own, but it started getting so that many of the parts did not work together even though they said they would. Pain in the butt. So the last three I have gotten were all HP, Hewlett Packard. The first one was for my wife and it is still working and it was when Windows 7 first came out. Still fine. Then I bought my mother one and it is great. This last one for myself that I bought last April at Walmart is an HP. 24" HD monitor, Windows 7 with 8 gig of ram and a 1 Terabyte hard drive. Great computer and it was $699. I do not know what price range you are in but my family has a total of 4 HP desktops and one HP laptop and not one of them has given us trouble. That is my rant on computers.

Just some things to look for, if you need a serial port most of the new computers don't have one. None of mine even have a floppy drive anymore. I would check to see if your software will run on Windows 7 as some of the early programs will not run on Windows 7 and 8 is worse. One of my older HP compputer's is a dual boot, Linux and Windnows XP just to cover my butt.

John
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Malvin,

The bluse screen of death if actually a term used when Windows Shits the Bed.... I/E it cant keep up with istelf or Windows Alzheimers.

This can be caused by some hardware I/E failing memory chips but most often from abused computers that have had tons of stuff loaded and removed. Before you give up on it remove the SIMM cards and reinstall and then do a complete recovery of the machine. Reinstall windows from scratch or use the manufacturers restore to original instructions.

REMEMBER TO BACK EVERYTHING YOU NEED UP AS IT WILL ALL BE EREASED.

Rick
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Thanks John & Rick for your advice all of my computer
I got used. I will try what Rick posted see if that works.

But I really am Leaning to what John has posted on
just never had a HP all the computers I have are Dell
Looks like I am going to buy a brand new computer
like John has for his personal computer.

Here is the Blue Screen picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

I like ASUS products. I find them to be a good value for the money. In the shop I use an array of different used machines, but my main computer is a workstation that I built a couple years ago with an ASUS motherboard and other parts from the local CompUSA/Tigerdirect.

I like to remove most of the extra programs that come with a new computer, as they use up resources and (for me anyway) are largely useless.

~Josh
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Got one of my computers getting fixed here it was the hard drive that failed
The one with the blue screen is getting nuked & reloaded plus new memory sticks put in I am using my little Acer lap top & it is small more like a note book have it hooked up to my 20" Dell monitor that was in a fire but works
really good yet! :)

The computer for my PTS Flow bench Is getting a SSD Drive 128 Gib & going to use a External hard drive adapter like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130674973528?ss ... 1438.l2649
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Ahhhh a change of Heart or wallet? :o

Rick
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

wallet?

Its like sticker shock looking at new computers :)
I would rather spend money on my Flow bench so I can get
it finished So Used computers are going to have to do for
now ;)
Areomyst

Post by Areomyst »

For a lot of things in the garage, older used computers are great! The computer I use with my dyno is an old junker E-machines Pentium 4 that still runs windows Vista (after upgrading from XP). Last year I put more RAM in it, and it will keep up with streaming better but for downloading information from the data loggers, it's more than adequate.

I've never looked at the system requirements for the PTS DM software. What are they anyway?

~Josh
Malvin

Post by Malvin »

Areomyst wrote

For a lot of things in the garage, older used computers are great

I have never own a brand new computer my Friend here at this link
hooks me up with used ones & fixes them if they can be fixed.
http://jdweb.cc/
I've never looked at the system requirements for the PTS DM software. What are they anyway?

I really have no idea but I do not think requires allot but I could be wrong on that.

I want my computer to be fast for my flow bench but as cheap as possible to.

I do not even have a wallet :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.