Bore adaptors

Discussion on general flowbench design
Sean

Re: Bore adaptors

Post by Sean »

Yeah 9 different castings of alloy heads, XD without injector cutouts, XE with injector cutouts, C1 C1A C2 C2A E1 E2 and D.
And yes spot on about the different chambers, the ports are slightly shapes also. The valve sizes are also different from the early heads to the later heads, I think the E2 had the largest exhaust valve of the lot. Crossflows have been my favourite engine for a very long time, trying to get good power out of them is great fun. The head in the pic a E1 or E2????
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

I hate to admit I am getting old, but when you said Ford Crossflow head I immediately thought of the 1600 Ford Cortina heads I was doing in the early 1970's :oops:
Old Grey

Post by Old Grey »

Stumper wrote:Yeah 9 different castings of alloy heads, XD without injector cutouts, XE with injector cutouts, C1 C1A C2 C2A E1 E2 and D.
And yes spot on about the different chambers, the ports are slightly shapes also. The valve sizes are also different from the early heads to the later heads, I think the E2 had the largest exhaust valve of the lot. Crossflows have been my favourite engine for a very long time, trying to get good power out of them is great fun. The head in the pic a E1 or E2????
Don't forget the Cast Iron one.
A guy came in once with a CI head that had massive valves in that nearly touched. I thought he was crazy until I noticed that the CI head doesn't have the insert overlap problem of a Alum head because the seat can rest on any of the part of CI chamber. The guy was running a turbo or NOS - I can't remember -, but it was in the 9's. It was still a heavy lump to move.
Tony

Post by Tony »

jfholm wrote:I hate to admit I am getting old, but when you said Ford Crossflow head I immediately thought of the 1600 Ford Cortina heads I was doing in the early 1970's :oops:
We have quite a few Ford six cylinder engines over here that have never been seen in America.
While in America the V8 is the only "real" engine, in oZ six cylinder inline engines have always been far more popular than V8s and Ford marketing (knowing where the money is) have come up with some pretty neat six cylinder stuff with real balls.

Many Americans absolutely refuse to believe that Ford would produce engines that are unavailable in America.

You don't need a honking great V8 to produce 400+ Hp and 400+ Ft/Lb in dead stock showroom tune, you can order an inline turbo six that can do that easily from any Ford Dealer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Tony,
I love six cylinders. Years ago we built a 200 cid Mustang six, the one with the intake manifold cast onto the head. It was for an SK type boat. We cut off the intake manifold, ported the head and installed bigger valves and then put Hilborn injectors on it. It would go well over 100 mph. And sixes sound better than a V8 :D
saltfever

Post by saltfever »

Tony wrote: edit . . .Only place in the entire world still officially stuck in imperial is USA.
Actually not true and a common stereotype even in the minds of most Americans. President Lincoln was a strong proponent of the Metric system and congress made it legal in all transactions and court proceedings in 1866. We have been using the metric system for 147 years! The only problem is a few things have gotten in the way of full implementation. A few wars (it is hard to change your measurement system in the middle of a world war). Religious opposition near the turn of the 20th century and the great depression years did not help. Many industries have been completely metricized for many years. Medicine, pharmacy, film and photography, all branches of our military (fully metricized in 1960), the wine and alcohol industry, the illegal drug culture, Aerospace, and shipping are a few examples. Anybody technical is bilingual.

About the only things not metric are food (but most packages are dual dimensioned), gasoline, and highway speed limits. I don’t know why the bizarre situation still exists.
Old Grey

Post by Old Grey »

jfholm wrote:Tony,
I love six cylinders. Years ago we built a 200 cid Mustang six, the one with the intake manifold cast onto the head. It was for an SK type boat. We cut off the intake manifold, ported the head and installed bigger valves and then put Hilborn injectors on it. It would go well over 100 mph. And sixes sound better than a V8 :D

There was a rare one with individual ports, I think it was called the 2V.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Oh yes, I had one of those 2V engines myself back in the day.
Just a pretty much a standard Ford 200/250 iron cylinder head, but Ford did exactly what John did, but they cast it that way "factory", and provided that aluminium manifold and a two barrel carb.
It really woke up the old Henry six, especially above 4,000 rpm with a mild cam and tube headers.

Next came the much nicer Japanese aluminium head, vastly superior to the old Ford cast iron parallel valve 2V bath tub head, then the DOHC head, and finally DOHC + turbo.
The car culture over here has developed along very different lines to to that in the US, probably because our cars are generally much smaller.

My 2V ended up with a TO4 turbo back in the mid 70's.
Back then there was a lot more street racing, few emissions laws and it was generally a lot easier to get away with all the crazy stuff.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

That would have made life so much easier back then :lol:
Sean

Post by Sean »

Us Aussies are thinkers John LOL