New here - considering building my own FB.

Discussion on general flowbench design
olympiadis

New here - considering building my own FB.

Post by olympiadis »

I haven't read through all the sections yet and I think this is my first post here, so if this introduction is in the wrong section please let me know and move it.

I'm not sure why others are here or why they want to build their own flow benches, maybe due to the high cost of the Superflow units. Personally I'm here out of frustration. I've been developing cylinder heads for a while, - messed with my first set of SBC1 heads in 1993 I think, but have always had to do porting work using my head instead of a test bench.
Lately in my area (Saint Louis) the several shops with benches have been very reluctant to flow heads for customers.
They get about $80 per hour to flow heads, so it seems like very easy money to me, so it's confusing why it's so hard to get them to flow heads anymore. Maybe it seems piddly when they have contracts to build race engines for sponsored race teams ? But anyway I can't seem to get scheduled in so that I can be present and watch the heads being flowed, and the price does seem a bit steep for what I need as far as flowing. My SBC1 heads have all the holes plugged and the valves already set up with checking springs, so they are practically ready to flow themselves, yet the operators talk on the phone like it could take all day to flow two ports.

So yeah, that's why I'm here. It's actually long past time that I either got my own bench or built one for my shop.

Please feel free to offer any advice as far as buying used, building my own, or what design to go with.
I generally work with SBC1 V8 heads, intakes, and carburetors.

Thank you,
Dan
Gravy is better than water.
coulterracn

Re: New here - considering building my own FB.

Post by coulterracn »

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of information on flowbenches and most anything related to cylinder heads.

I was were you are just a few years ago. I had the money to buy a commercial built bench. I opted to build the PTS bench. I started with Dywer brand manometers and have graduated to the PTS digital manometer.

Ray
My Flowbench is better than their's
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Welcome to the forum!

25 flow tests at that price and you have a PTS Flowbench sitting in your shop with a little sweat equity building it yourself.

Someone will be along to tell you all about how much they love the PTS Flowbench :)
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
lovendhra

Post by lovendhra »

Welcome friend plenty awesome advice in this place...
olympiadis

Post by olympiadis »

Thanks. Is there anyone here that is near my area that could help me out in the meantime until I get the thing built ?

I think I reached my limit today in dealing with shops. Nobody can be bothered with $80/hr easy work anymore.

I would gladly visit someone with a DIY bench and pay them in the short term.
They may also be able to show me things in person to help my own build along as far as design.

I'm in the Saint Louis area.
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Welcome friend, here is the right place! With plans Bruce relatively easy to build your flow bench.
Many guys here will help.
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

olympiadis wrote:Thanks. Is there anyone here that is near my area that could help me out in the meantime until I get the thing built ?

I think I reached my limit today in dealing with shops. Nobody can be bothered with $80/hr easy work anymore.

I would gladly visit someone with a DIY bench and pay them in the short term.
They may also be able to show me things in person to help my own build along as far as design.

I'm in the Saint Louis area.
I sent an email to Bob Waechter who is on this forum. He is in your area so I hope he replies soon and I will let him know and you also

John
Sean

Post by Sean »

Welcome, I am 95% finished building my PTS bench and I have to say I am so happy I stumbled across this forum, I was looking at other options for a bench build but was convinced to go the PTS design and so far I'm pumped that I did, the support from Bruce and the members is second to none, the plans and quality of the gear supplied by Bruce is exceptional and the price of the build left me well ahead of buying a bench.
I am also new to the forum and I highly recommend biting the bullet, spending the money and going the PTS bench.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum Dan! You have definitely come to the right place.
They are an extremely friendly and helpful lot here, and building your own bench would be by far the best way for the future.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
olympiadis

Post by olympiadis »

What do the plans cost?
and more importantly, how much does "biting the bullet" cost?

Maybe there is a way to get this going in stages so that I can get operational early and then upgrade over a time period of a year or so?