MDF vs MDO. Is there a best choice?

Discussion on general flowbench design
pcnsd

MDF vs MDO. Is there a best choice?

Post by pcnsd »

I am finally in a position to start my project and I have a question regarding material choice. The cost of either the above is within my budget. The difference between MDF and MDO is only ~$60 for the project. Since I don't wish to have any regrets and am concerned about wondering too far from known. Is there a reason to choose MDF over MDOs besides cost. MDO is both lighter and stronger based on the data I found on each, but has the issue with plywood end cuts that will show. I am ok with that, thinking about a bare urethane finish.

Any thoughtful reflection is appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards,
Paul
Hotz

Re: MDF vs MDO. Is there a best choice?

Post by Hotz »

Dear friend, MDF the best density provides his best structure provides more weight to bench.

Construction only problem with screws that can separate the plate, you to do pre hole. Humidity is also a problem.

You will need good tool to cut, unlike burn MDF, bad finishing.

In general the MDF is better and has better final finish.
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Paul,
Here is an article on a comparison between MDF and MDO. http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/965

I used 3/4" plywood on my bench. I did not know about MDO and after reading the article on MDO I think I may have gone that route. I am using internal bracing of 1X2 pine furring strips so I do not have to put any screws into the edge of the plywood as I did not want it to split.

Read about this MDO as it has 11 layers of wood and then phenolic impregnated paper between the wood layers in a 3/4" thick piece. They claim it is water proof. This may eliminate the need of painting the inside of the bench. This looks like a really good material and I wish I would have known about it. It also looks to have more strength than the MDF.

The only drawback is they said it is not available at HomeDepot or Lowes.

John
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Here is another discussion on MDF vs. MDO http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... MDF-vs-MDO

I am no carpenter or wood expert. Hotz makes some of the nicest wood items I have ever seen. Hotz can you give us so more input on this?

John
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

MDF was the material chosen for it's ease local availability and ease of working with.

People have used various other materials they have available to them and as $$$'s permit. Personally, I think the design will work with most anything if someone pays attention to the details and does not do a sloppy build.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

Thanks John, your opinion should always be respected ...
But as Bruce said MDF is better ...
I do not like MDF is bad stuff for furniture too heavy, exactly that the MDF is good for the flow bench.
Material made extreme pressure with structure very dense it helps a lot to get the general structure of the bank.

The biggest problem is to humidity, this makes it expand over time, need good paint (insulation).

MDO! you can problems with passing of time, the workshop be subject to contamination by oil etc, even painted always there will be fissures between boards that may detach.
Its structure is not homogeneous, are overlapping layers that can separate over time affecting the structure.

Really prefer MDF, I'm just wood hobby... my simple opinion. ;)

edt: I talk about this ...

this photo is not MDO but the principle is the same overlapping...
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

I have been looking around and cannot find mdo anyway. They should rename it "unobtainium" ;-)

I did use plywood, but mdf would have been much easier.
pcnsd

Post by pcnsd »

I am in the San Diego area, it is available from White Cap Contractors Supply Co. and one other the name of which escapes me at the moment. I believe it would be available from most if not all urban centers with a bit of searching. I found nothing under lumber or building supplies. The name contractor is what did it. HDO is also available as a special order, but is tagged with a minimum order (1 stack) which puts it out of reach for all but big end users.
I have made the decision to go with the MDO. I believe the slight cost increase for a exterior grade base material is worth it. The inner laminates are claimed to be void free and veiner grade which is what concerned me with furniture grade plywood, my other consideration.

Holtz,
Thank you. Much of what you have brought up is the cause of my indecision on this subject, but I have access to tools and materials that should cover the issues raised.

To all... thanks for your help.

Regards,
Paul
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

ok Paul, good luck on your project, do not forget to show the project area members..

Paul Hotz :D
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

I know of one build using 12 ply Birch plywood.

Just make sure you paint the inside of any wood you use
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .