Did you guys miss me, been covered up with ECOBOOST work

Discussion on general flowbench design
Old Grey

Re: Did you guys miss me, been covered up with ECOBOOST work

Post by Old Grey »

Tony wrote:
Old Grey wrote: I wanted to go with 1 orifice, if it's accurate, it's just that I was advised to do multiple.
One orifice will be accurate provided it is suitably sized for the particular piece being tested. For most of us that presents no difficulty.
If you have built a very high capacity bench, and you plan to flow some very small pieces, then you use an appropriately smaller orifice suited to the smaller job.
If you plan accordingly, there should be no need to change orifices during a test.

Selecting an appropriate measurement orifice is just like selecting an appropriate bore adapter and radiused port entry, and rigging up something to control and measure valve lift.
It involves a bit of stuffing around the very first time, but once you have the hardware on hand, its very quick and easy to put it all together again for similar future testing.
If you read this
http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/view ... ?f=5&t=827
it was decided that my old FP1 with no averaging would be better with multiple orifices.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Old Grey wrote: it was decided that my old FP1 with no averaging would be better with multiple orifices.
It probably would be, as would a flow bench using water manometers.

What makes a single orifice entirely practical is the PTS Digital Manometer, and Rick's software.
The very high sensitivity, resolution, and stability is what makes this possible.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

My Performance Trends Black Box works with one orifice also so I know it is possible. I have verified this against my water manometer also.
Old Grey

Post by Old Grey »

jfholm wrote:My Performance Trends Black Box works with one orifice also so I know it is possible. I have verified this against my water manometer also.
You're making me want to pull the PIC, get a writer, learn how to program it, re-write the code, and write it back to the chip.

The PT DM is pretty good, it just takes a bit to record the 20 points that it averages.
ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

pictures :)

medusa assembled..first drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKMvQQm7Cn4&t=5s
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

The PT DM is pretty good, it just takes a bit to record the 20 points that it averages.
Please explain i have no idea what you are talking about.

Rick
Brucepts
Site Admin

Post by Brucepts »

Rick

PT DM = Performance Trends Black Box it takes a sample over time for it's averaging does not do on the fly averaging like the PTS Digital manometer does
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Tony

Post by Tony »

This confused me as well.
PT DM is not the same as PTS DM, but easy to mix up if you skim read without 100% concentration.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

I have my Black Box hooked up through a Windows XP machine with a 2.2ghz processor and 2 gb ram. You can adjust the sampling in The Performance Trends Black Box. I think I have mine set at 100. It does not take that long on my machine. Nothing at all in fact. With that said, I would still buy Bruces and save a couple of hundred dollars and have a great product and support group. I would not buy the FP1 box with no support.
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Tom Vaught,
Did you work with Kevin Gertchen of Performance Trends? He used to work for Ford didn't he? I was just wondering if you knew him.

John