New Board member from Oregon saying hello!

A place to talk about things that do not fit into any other forum, only members may post to keep out the SPAM
DSRE

New Board member from Oregon saying hello!

Post by DSRE »

Hi yall I'm Derek Stewart, I build and design custom engines out of Tigard oregon and I think I finally found the right board for me !
I'm getting ready to buy my first bench but I want to do my research before shelling out 10g on a new SF600 lol so anyways Hello and I hope you guys can help!
Thanks
Areomyst

Re: New Board member from Oregon saying hello!

Post by Areomyst »

I think you'll get a lot of advice to save most of that 10g and build a PTS style bench. :) That's the way most of us have gone anyway... I don't have much room to talk, as I've just been hoarding parts and haven't actually built mine yet - but everyone seems more than happy with PTS vs all the other guys.

~Josh

PS: I didn't know they said "ya'll" much outside of the south. :) It's a word I've had to get used to since moving down here! :D
DSRE

Post by DSRE »

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to reading up on the PTS system
Main thing for me is having a compact effecient and professional level bench that is user friendly and has good tech support!
Ty
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

DSRE wrote:Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to reading up on the PTS system
Main thing for me is having a compact effecient and professional level bench that is user friendly and has good tech support!
Ty
Ty,
You have come to the right place and welcome aboard! This is a Great forum and the guys are very helpful and not snobbish. I think you will find that if you build a PTS bench you will have all your bases covered. I have been using flow benches since 1974. (yes I am that old :lol: ) I have used different types of benches and different brands. My first build of the PTS bench style was just to test it's accuracy and repeatability. I was amazed! I could walk away from it for a couple of months and come back and fire it up and it was right on!

Some of the "commercial" benches have some short comings that I think were not very well thought out. The PTS bench is very simple, but very well thought out by a number of people that are pretty darn smart. If the PTS bench is setup and calibrated correctly you can send a test orifice clear across the country to some else who has a PTS and it will read very very close to the same.

You will not go wrong and you will get almost instant help from someone here on the forum. Bruce who started this whole gig is a wonderful craftsman and will not leave you hanging.

John
Tony

Post by Tony »

Welcome to the Forum Derek.

The Forum developed flow bench is at least as good in every possible way to a commercial bench, and with the full electronics and software package, has all the desirable features at a small fraction of the cost of purchasing even a second hand commercial bench.

With that, comes the best technical backup you will get anywhere from other Forum members located all around the world, from what must be the friendliest and most helpful Forum anywhere on the internet.

Stick around, and read some of the threads here, and save yourself many thousands of dollars, and become one of hundreds of us that have successfully built our own professional quality flow benches that we are all very happy with.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
jimbo39

Post by jimbo39 »

not much I can add other than,

i haven't been here long, but all the threads i have spun my head around go along with all that's been said above. I have yet to build my bench but from the general "feel" of this forum I'm happy I came here :)

in other words:

+1 to all of the above posts :lol:
Hotz

Post by Hotz »

The masters have said everything we had to say, I can only thank his presence know that with the passing of time you will feel comfortable to build your FB ....

Welcome ;)

good read...http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/view ... ?f=3&t=854 :idea:
Sorry my english mistakes.
PTS Parts>> http://www.flowbenchtech.com/store.html
jfholm

Post by jfholm »

Derek,
Sorry :oops: I called you Ty. ;-0

On this forum you will find all the hard stuff that is very usful has been done for you. If you go to the thread about useful programs and spreadsheets you will find some very helpful programs and spreadsheets to help you do you work and figure out you flow bench. It really makes it a lot of fun when starting to do you heads.

John
DSRE

Post by DSRE »

Excellent and thanks for the welcomes!, yeah I'm already learning tons and I can't wait to stop paying others to flow my heads lol
haley63042

Post by haley63042 »

Welcome Derek, You will love this site. I got bit by the porting bug and am now a addict 8-) Found this site and had a kinda long thread and got so much help that I actually did a good job on a old set of heads. Very positive bunch of guys. Great info.