New user - Problem with inclined flow meter.

Discussion on general flowbench design
StiggyToo

New user - Problem with inclined flow meter.

Post by StiggyToo »

Hello everybody.
I'm currently undertaking a project at Brooklands college which involves the use of their SF 110 flow bench. However it seems as though the inclined manometer isn't functioning atm. I'll go through what I have done and hopefully someone will tell me that I've done something wrong and everything will be tickety boo. :D

-I have installed the calibration plate
-All stoppers are in leaving the #1 hole open.
-Fan set to intake, both flow control knobs closed.
-Larger test hole covered leaving 0.312" hole open.

-Once on I set test pressure to 10". The inclined flow meter moves less than 1mm, if that.
I've tested it across 3 days. Interestingly it did work first thing on the second day, I then took the flow back to 0 and switched it off, only to find that it didn't work again directly after that. It is probable that some delinquent has been playing with it and caused the fluid to bubble over etc. Could this problem be down to a blockage/split pipe somewhere along the line?

Another question, this flow bench has a small panel/monitor at the top right, with various tubes heading in and out. Are there any components in this which could cause this kind of temperamental behaviour?
Thank you.
Brucepts
Site Admin

Re: New user - Problem with inclined flow meter.

Post by Brucepts »

I'm thinking you probably have water in a tube down the line. I thought the SF inclines have a trap reservoir at the end so it would not allow fluid to reach the tubing.
Bruce

Who . . . me? I stayed at a Holiday in Express . . .
Darcy R

Post by Darcy R »

The trap in the top has a cork float, and a stainless steel sealing disc, they can get gummed up with dry color dye, and block flow. The top white plastic part can also be screwed in to close the valve for transport...did someone close your valve when you weren't looking?
StiggyToo

Post by StiggyToo »

Thanks a lot - I'll give your suggestions a try. I imagine the problem is down to the plastic valves above the float traps.
StiggyToo

Post by StiggyToo »

I have traced the problem to a blockage. If I blow through the high end of the manometer, I am met with some resistance then it clears. If I then connect the pipes the flow bench works. However, after leaving it for 1 minute it was blocked again.
1960FL

Post by 1960FL »

Darcy R wrote:The trap in the top has a cork float, and a stainless steel sealing disc, they can get gummed up with dry color dye, and block flow. The top white plastic part can also be screwed in to close the valve for transport...did someone close your valve when you weren't looking?
StiggyToo

Post by StiggyToo »

1960FL wrote:
Darcy R wrote:The trap in the top has a cork float, and a stainless steel sealing disc, they can get gummed up with dry color dye, and block flow. The top white plastic part can also be screwed in to close the valve for transport...did someone close your valve when you weren't looking?
I didn't have much time to investigate, but I will give it a thorough clean next time.
Thanks