SG 1.0 Manometer Fluids Other Than Water?

Discussion on general flowbench design
Tony

Re: SG 1.0 Manometer Fluids Other Than Water?

Post by Tony »

A sloping manometer using odd SG fluids presents much less of a problem than for the test pressure manometer, simply because you can tweak the slope !!

Now if your fluid has an SG of (say) 0.95 and your orifice reference calibration is at twelve inches of water.
Your lower density fluid is going to climb slightly higher up the tube for a given differential pressure.

Why not just raise the angle of slope up from twelve inches to 12/0.95 inches ?
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Yes, that would be grate! As i need to install them on my new/old extra computer.

Can any one fix the math for Marvel Mystery Oil

I would really REALLY like to get a way from water gauge as I'm below freezing(32F) all but....maybe 4 mouths out of the year. Water gauges just don't work vary well here.
Gordon
Flash

Post by Flash »

Tony wrote:A sloping manometer using odd SG fluids presents much less of a problem than for the test pressure manometer, simply because you can tweak the slope !!

Now if your fluid has an SG of (say) 0.95 and your orifice reference calibration is at twelve inches of water.
Your lower density fluid is going to climb slightly higher up the tube for a given differential pressure.

Why not just raise the angle of slope up from twelve inches to 12/0.95 inches ?
that's a good idea
so i wouldn't have to change anything but the slope
AKA recalibrate the incline, right?
Gordon
Tony

Post by Tony »

Flash wrote: that's a good idea
so i wouldn't have to change anything but the slope
AKA recalibrate the incline, right?
Yup.

I would not mix fluids, just use whatever oil is low cost, easy to see, and readily obtainable.

Use a simple water U tube manometer as a reference, and adjust the slope of your sloping manometer with your fluid of choice, to read 100% when the water manometer is where it should be.

No real need to calculate anything, you know the water is going to read correct !
Then just alter the slope, so your oil is at the exact 100% mark.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.